GPU Cooling...Mwahahahaha!

Associate
a pelt is a cool little gismo that lets us get below ambient temps.

in essence, you pass a curent through the element and ne side gets hot and the other gets cold. you jam the cold bit onto the component and col the hot side... and hey-presto you've got a peltier or (TEC - Thermo Electric Cooling) cooled component!

thats a rather simplistic view, but gets the main idea accross... google it for better info :p

theres a cooler out there by thermal right that uses heatpipes and had a fan/rad on the top of the card... it's pasable for SLi setups ( i think) and does some nice work cooling too... i've yet to meet anyone thats used it though... just seen reviews etc

Soldato
This is my old 9500 Non-Pro with a cut-down Socket A heatsink. 60mm square and was a huge improvement over the original cooler.

I had the card hitting 385MHz on the core... what's that, a 115MHz overclock on the core? I think my highest 3DM01 score was just over 15,000.

Screenie

Associate
Monstermunch said:
peltiers look expensive!

they don't just look it :p

depending on your PSU you can probally get a decent pelt set up for around £40 - i nearly forgot you can't mention other shops :(

but I'm part-way through jamming a pelt onto a 7900GT... it's not as complicated as people make out, as long as your PSU can take the extra power requirement and your cooling can take the heat dump.

i jammed an old socket 7 HSF onto my old 5200 an age ago... it helped a great deal, so if you're determined to go down the old CPU-HSF route it'll definately yeild results :)

Associate
Theres a 6800 with pelt in MM for 90, some mad overclocker is ditching AGP so its probably a bargain.

I just add lots of case fans nearby myself, gpu always seem a bit more fragile to me. Zalman's gpu cooler looks basically like a cut down version of their cpu one

Back
Top Bottom