GPU driver install error Windows 10

Associate
Just made a new build.

Windows 10
GPU 2 x GTX 1080

When I first in stalled the Nvidia driver I got this error.. "Non 7z archive error"

I then let Win 10 update and automatically add the driver. This seemed to work, but when I look in the DM I see there are warning errors.

Could this be that I have two cards in the system that do not have an SLI bridge connected?

gpu_zpsaajegcox.jpg

Associate
The microsoft basic display driver shouldn't be there since it's what is used when installing a new graphics card and should be replaced by the actual graphics card drivers when they are installed.

Your initial error might have been down to a bad download of the install file as I would never suggest allowing windows update to download GPU drivers as they are more often then not not the most recent version.

Associate
OP
The microsoft basic display driver shouldn't be there since it's what is used when installing a new graphics card and should be replaced by the actual graphics card drivers when they are installed.

Your initial error might have been down to a bad download of the install file as I would never suggest allowing windows update to download GPU drivers as they are more often then not not the most recent version.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Should I delete the microsoft basic display driver and the Nvidia drivers. Then install?

How many drivers should be there given I have two cards?

Associate
OP
OK. So I removed all the Nvidia drivers, but the microsoft basic display driver is still corrupt.

Maybe this is why I am unable to install the Nvidia driver correctly?

Should I remove The microsoft basic display driver first before re-installing the nvidia driver?

gpu2_zpsf6rldjjh.jpg

Associate
OP
Try and use DDU, this will remove the Nvidia drivers completely and try a re install

Thanks. I used DDU, which removed all the Nvidia drivers, but as you can see it created 3 microsoft basic display drivers which are still corrupt. If I remove them will windows automatically install them again when I reboot?

Inkedgpu3_LI_zpswsixoqt3.jpg

Soldato
Is windows a clean install with the new build or was the SSD\HDD used in your previous PC and moved to your new one?

Does the new gpu appear under device manager at all?

Associate
OP
Is windows a clean install with the new build or was the SSD\HDD used in your previous PC and moved to your new one?

Does the new gpu appear under device manager at all?

Its a clean install. The GPU appears under the Display Adapter in the Device Manager when I install the Nvidia driver. Should it appear anywhere else?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, so having a quick look here, the basic display driver is software that's built in to windows 10 and used when it cannot find gpu drivers for the hardware.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...microsoft-basic-display-adapter-on-windows-10

going by the error its trying to load the basic display drivers for your 1080.

looking at the first screen shot, the two 1080s are installed but its the windows basic one that has the error.

gpu should only appear under display drivers.

once the NVidia drivers are installed with the 1080s try and remove the basic one after

Associate
OP
Ok, so having a quick look here, the basic display driver is software that's built in to windows 10 and used when it cannot find gpu drivers for the hardware.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...microsoft-basic-display-adapter-on-windows-10

going by the error its trying to load the basic display drivers for your 1080.

looking at the first screen shot, the two 1080s are installed but its the windows basic one that has the error.

gpu should only appear under display drivers.

once the NVidia drivers are installed with the 1080s try and remove the basic one after

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know the Nvidia drivers are ok. When I uninstall the basic driver it gets removed, but when I reboot it appears again.

Soldato
Does it still get the error code or does it install correctly once the 1080s are there? If it errors is it the same error code of 31?

Back
Top Bottom