• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Low Usage (20-30%)

Associate
Hi, I have a very annoying problem, and that is my gpu. I have a good system but my gpu usage in games is only about 30% and I get low fps when my system could have exponentially more fps with a +80% usage. I searched the whole internet and tried a lot of things, but nothing has worked, and I don't know if it's a hardware issue rather than simply bad configuration. Please help me, thank you!

My system:
Intel Core i7-6700, 3.4GHz
8GB RAM, 2133Mhz x 1
1TB HDD Toshiba
ASRock H170M Pro4 Motherboard
480w DeepCool Power Supply
GTX 1060 3GB, Asus Dual
-
60hz monitor

Permabanned
Just throwing ideas out there to give you some things to check, and some info you can provide to help us help you.

What game are you playing?
What resolution is your monitor?
What fps are you getting?
What is your cpu usage when gaming?
What is your ram usage when gaming?

initial thoughts on your system:
- 2 sticks of ram (dual channel) is much better than 1
- 8gb of ram isn't terrible, but some games will use it up, if you run out of ram then you'll be using page file (most likely on your C drive, which sounds like a hard drive, so that'd be terrible)
- ideally windows, programs, games should be on an SSD rather than an HDD. This upgrade is what most people call the biggest upgrade they've done in recent years.
- you have the 1060 3GB model not the 1060 6GB model, so you need to check how much of your vram is being used when gaming. (GPU is in performance tab in task manager in windows 10).
- 480W isn't much. I don't think this is your issue though, but it's enough to be worth mentioning.

Associate
Hi,

In addition to what Billy has asked;

- Is your CPU hitting 100% load?
- Do you have V-sync enabled?
- How old is your PSU?

My first suspicion would be the PSU tbh...

Associate
First though is faulty or under performing psu -did a quick bit of research on your model and general consensus is not good

Associate
OP
The whole computer was bought new 4 months ago,I am not playing with v-sync, I don't have 100% cpu usage, I am playing csgo, rs6, jc3, ring of elysium, my monitor is 1680x1050, csgo 200fps average with 30% gpu usage, cpu usage I am not sure, I think around 60%, Ram I really do not know, but vram is enough, I am not playing full ultra settings

Permabanned
OK, so 200fps is fine, there's no issue. Your monitor is 60Hz so isn't displaying more than 60fps anyway. Look into FastSync to eliminate tearing.
The reason the GPU isn't at 100% is because you're CPU limited, but your CPU is good so there's no need to change it.

Don
Get another stick of ram for dual channel, a significant performance boost.

That will make around 5-10% difference at best, and isn't the issue here.

Csgo is likely capped at 200fps via a console command (cl_maxfps 200) or similar, meaning the gpu won't try and render any more than 200fps even if it could. 1680x1050 isn't a challenging resolution, especially on an old game like csgo.

Associate
OP
AMB73, I could get 350-500 frames constantly, but this way with 30% usage it's between 180-300fps, so yes it is low fps for my pc's capability.
Armageus, csgo can run on a potato but in ring of elysium, pubg(same requirements) I have 45fps with max settings so I have to put them to low to get 70fps, and my gpu usage is 30%. I could get 100+ with a 90% usage, that's the problem. What if I buy a 144hz monitor, do I stay with 30% usage and 70 fps, when I could do 120+???
Of course I didn't cap it at 200 fps, it's fps_max 0, I am not retarded I said I tried everything I found, ingame settings are basic that's not my problem.
I also get a lot of instability, like drops in demanding games, and the gpu usage is not constant, it lingers around 30% up and down
If you have other questions ask me and I will answer!

Associate
That will make around 5-10% difference at best, and isn't the issue here.

Csgo is likely capped at 200fps via a console command (cl_maxfps 200) or similar, meaning the gpu won't try and render any more than 200fps even if it could. 1680x1050 isn't a challenging resolution, especially on an old game like csgo.

I disagree, the difference is 20%+ in some games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBmElSVy4U8

Single channel cant feed the cpu fast enough. No one should use single channel.

Associate
Try 3dmark or a unigine benchmark, it will give you a better idea of whether there is something wrong or not. As others have said CSGO is not a demanding game and 1680x1050 is a low resolution by today's standards.

Permabanned
but in ring of elysium, pubg(same requirements) I have 45fps with max settings so I have to put them to low to get 70fps
Never played ring of elysium, but have played PUBG and it's very GPU demanding. It's almost certainly using up your 3GB of VRAM, check it in task manager or use process explorer. You might also be running out of RAM, so check that in task manager too. Let us know the usage of each while gaming.

Associate
OP
If it helps, benchmarked it with msi kombustor, stress test on my native rez, fullscreen and I had a constant 97-98% load on the gpu with max 65-70 temperature. The cpu was at 50-52 temperature and and average of 40% usage. My gpu was doing good, it had 97-98% usage, wich I would like to have constantly in games, but it goes up to 30%, in some games, that are very demanding it can also go up to 70-80% with, but drops..
Any opinions??

Soldato
Check your single core cpu usage, iirc csgo is basically single core and at 3.4ghz that could be the issue.

Basically depending on game it you could be bottlenecking cpu, ram or vram, there's no one simple fix that will apply to everything.

Associate
OP
Look at this video, he has a gtx 1060, and gets constantly 99% usage with no drops, that's what I would like, to have it always on 99 in games, even if it's not a demanding game, and I don't know what to do to configure it that way, to use it's full potential in every game..

Back
Top Bottom