GPU Upgrade Help

Associate
Hey all,

My build has just reached 3 year birthday (Just over) and the GPU (Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Edition 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express) has just started making an incredibly deep whirring noise from the fans when ever a chrome tab or a game is launched to the point that it's becoming very distracting for other members of my family.

Up until this point I've had no issues running any of the games I want to play and just wondering if anyone knows of a graphics card that's fairly cheap that will do the same job as this one that I can order ASAP.

Here are my total PC specs + Screens and Case.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Corsair Hydro H105 240mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

XFX XTR Series 850W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply

Samsung 500GB 750 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit

Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Edition 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Midi Tower Case with Window - Black

Acer Predator XB271HUAbmiprz 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 165Hz

AOC G2460PG 24" 1920x1080 TN G-Sync 144Hz
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
About the same, slightly faster in general would be RX 5600 XT. If you preferred Nvidia for some reason, the RTX 2060.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £550.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Cheapest solution here is to buy a fan replacement, or fan mod it (the fan mod would be even quieter than the original fans). The Zotac cards have a 5 year warranty if you registered it. Worth asking them even if you didn't.

Also, the fans (and heatsink) may just need a good clean.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
About the same, slightly faster in general would be RX 5600 XT. If you preferred Nvidia for some reason, the RTX 2060.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £550.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Cheapest solution here is to buy a fan replacement, or fan mod it (the fan mod would be even quieter than the original fans). The Zotac cards have a 5 year warranty if you registered it. Worth asking them even if you didn't.

Also, the fans (and heatsink) may just need a good clean.

I personally have no preference, would u recommend the RX instead of the Nvidia card?

Soldato
I think so. Especially if you find a model that will have the improved BIOS netting about 12% improvement. The Sapphire Pulse might be one of them. Things a bit unclear right now because of how AMD have done this. Watch this if interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDyP9nDw_q0

You could fork out more for a 5700 XT of course. That will comfortably beat the 1080 instead of being around the same.

Associate
OP
I think so. Especially if you find a model that will have the improved BIOS netting about 12% improvement. The Sapphire Pulse might be one of them. Things a bit unclear right now because of how AMD have done this. Watch this if interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDyP9nDw_q0

You could fork out more for a 5700 XT of course. That will comfortably beat the 1080 instead of being around the same.

This would be my first time replacing a part of a PC - Always brought mine straight from Overclockers - I appreciate the recommendation and as long as there wouldnt be any conflict with the rest of my build then I don't see why I wouldn't want to upgrade to the 5700 XT

Associate
I have the powercolor twin fan 5700XT I think it's £338 or was when I got it. I'm using a new display port cable that OCUK sells for 10 quid and 19.12.1 drivers. And own fan curve settings. My advise is I'm happy. Regardless of crappy drivers. Not for all radeon owners mind you. Depending on your luck in the silicon Lottery of course lol

Soldato
The OP has 2 G-Sync monitors, he's better off with a Nvidia card.

Regardless, give the card a good clean, also check to see if it's in warranty. Side-grading for £260 because of a noisy fan is madness, it should be an easy fix.

Associate
OP
The OP has 2 G-Sync monitors, he's better off with a Nvidia card.

Regardless, give the card a good clean, also check to see if it's in warranty. Side-grading for £260 because of a noisy fan is madness, it should be an easy fix.

when I say the fan is noisy I mean to the point of shaking the desk, my work hours make it so I’m only able to play during the night/mornings and the sound wakes people up, one of the fans is completely broken.

Back
Top Bottom