• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU usage/load

Associate
I am running the benchmark Valley (medium) and i am using the NZXT cam software to monitor my temp's and load of my GPU and CPU. While i have been watching it i've seen that my CPU load is very high around the 70% and sometimes higher while running this benchmark. However my GPU load is only running about 20% and sometimes lower than that. I just want to ask is this normal for something like this to happen or is something going terribly wrong.

This is my setup:
Power Supply - Corsair 750w semi-modular
Motherboard - Msi Z170A Gaming m5
CPU - Intel Core i5-7600k
Graphics card - Nvidia gefore gtx 1060 6gb
RAM - Corsair Vengeance lpx ddr4 ( 2 x 8gb )
CPU cooler - NZXT kraken x62
SSD - Samsung 850 evo 250gb
HDD - Seagate ST1000DM003
NZXT hue+ , NZXT internal usb hub , NZXT AER RGB 140mm fan

Associate
Looks normal. The Unigine Valley benchmark engine is single-threaded. Even though the Nvidia DX11 drivers divide up the GPU-related work on the CPU into multiple threads, this will only be enough to load your CPU to 70% and not 100% - it's still a single-thread CPU bottleneck. At medium settings the CPU's first core is busy on the benchmark engine driving high FPS to the GPU, but it's relatively little work for a modern GPU so it shows a low load.

As you increase the graphics settings you will see the GPU load increase. If you see reasonable FPS, don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom