Gran Turismo 6

Associate
MIGHT get this in future if it comes down in price but it sounds like it's actually impossible to enjoy at least a good portion of the expensive cars due to the lack of winnable credits. I.e complete the game and still not have 20mill? (Then if the glitch gets patched somehow I'll have no chance).

I don't mind working my way up if it's progressive, but I got fed up of GT5 when I couldn't progress without doing the same races over and over. That's not a grind I find fun.

Associate
So far my impression is that it looks fantastic (not just "fantastic for a PS3 game", it looks fantastic full stop), sounds dreadful- vacuum cleaner engine noises, and tyre screeching so absurdly loud and shrill that my missus left the room- and cars that should feel exciting just feel like barges.

I appreciate the technical exercise and applied mathematics that go into making a realistic driving "simulator" and yes, that word features in the name of the game so one can't really complain, but if the realism means the cars are all sterile and frustrating to drive, then I wonder if simulation actually detracts from "fun". Perhaps a bit of arcade-style handling exaggeration would instil a bit of that heroic element that you want from a driving game.

I tried a couple of supercars last night on free runs, and while it's possible I chose the wrong ones (Alfa Stradale and an 80s Lambo of some description), they both felt like driving a shopping trolley full of lead on ice. I had to drive so slowly round corners to avoid the tyre squeal drowning out every other noise. It felt slow, unrewarding and a bit dull. If I want that feeling, I'll go and drive my real-world 3 cylinder 1L Corsa.

On the other hand, sliding round in normal day-to-day cars on comfort tyres is a lot more fun- but there has to be some sort of incentive to progress and race more desirable cars other wise it all seems a bit pointless. As I say, maybe I chose the wrong cars.

I dunno, it pains me to say it, but GT6 just doesn't scream "Drive me" like all the other GTs seemed to- even GT5. I will continue to play though, and hope it's a work in progress.

Soldato
My copy has arrived from simply games with the torque and precision dlc packs. Trying to tell myself i am not going to play it until I have completed the last bits on gt5.....will see how long that lasts lol

Associate
So far my impression is that it looks fantastic (not just "fantastic for a PS3 game", it looks fantastic full stop), sounds dreadful- vacuum cleaner engine noises, and tyre screeching so absurdly loud and shrill that my missus left the room- and cars that should feel exciting just feel like barges.

the tyre screeching in GT6 is beyond a joke, slightest turn of any car EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Its like they have got the sound file from Namco for the Ridge Racer 1 tyre screech and made it 100 times worse.

Has anyone else also noticed when you go into a race - the track loads etc it shows a screen showing the track info and the cars in the race etc - press X on the start/green flag button and it sits for ages before the race starts.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Well I keep seeing the advert on telly lording up the 1400 cars bla bla bla, having had the game long enough to comment I'd say playing the game straight it will take you around 87 years to get a decent collection of cars in your garage.
With the "workaround" :D I now have 167 cars in my garage & 20 mill in the bank & all my cars are tuned/tweaked & have every set of tyres available. :p
I can now relax into the game & learn the tracks properly, tune my motors accordingly & just generally enjoy the racing.
I will still go through my licenses & progress & do handicap myself to make the races competitive as I always do but this time I haven't got to pick & choose between what I buy/own & how I spend/earn my cash. :cool:

Anyways...

Sound Tip. Go into the game Options & change your sound options to Living Room, I have a 7 Speaker surround sound & using this option drops the volume of the tyre squeal by quite a fair bit. Let me & everybody else know if it works for you as well.

Done a few laps around the full Ring this morning & damn it's tight & the bumps & elevations make it even more dodgey to drive than it used to be. 8 player races there will be fun. :p Awesome track though I Love it.

Cars/Handling - Once you get up around the 500's the handling & effects & feedback increase by loads. I've had to fight certain cars around the track which is exactly how it should be. Weight transfer Under & over steer all come out to punch you in the face, transitions through s bends need to be done properly otherwise a tank slapper will put you in the wall hard. Now I'm using top end tuned cars from 450 up the game gives fantastic feedback & you really feel like you are hanging your **** & **** out there on the edge of death. :cool: + :p

So is this game worth the £59.99 I paid for the 15th Anniversary edition & would I have payed £59.99 if I knew about the workaround, HELL YES ************* :D

Chuffed to bits with my GT6 & will get untold hours out of the box. :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Echoing the above, after a week of playing overall I'm enjoying it more now and the Glitch just makes it that much more fun.

Some of the physics can be dodgy at times like the '12 Nissan GTR Black, probably one of the best handling cars in the world, under steering at 30mph or a 450hp Nismo R34 doing 100-150mph and taking much longer than IRL (ex 450hp R34 owner ;)).

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Another tip to improve sound whilst racing is side swipe somebody as you pass them, Think it knocks a window out or summit but things get louder. Only do this Offline obviously.

A hope for future sound improvement is that when passing a Scooby or other throaty motor you can hear the exhaust rasp quite nice therefore better sound is already coded into the game it just needs patching over to replace the **** Hoover sounds.

Also make sure you regularly Back up your data, I've put mine on USB stick & signed up for PS + to auto upload my Saves.
Players are reporting random corruptions which knock them back to no motors or cash so they have to reinstal etc This isn't to do with any of the Glitches either it's just a random corruption error that pops up now & again.
With all my cars/tweaks, tuning, paint & wheel swaps & my bank balance I'm taking no risks when it comes to Saves.

Soldato
Good wood is good fun! Got 9 golds already.. Are there more? The nationals b night race around the ring with 12 cars on the track is tough.. I'm in my 500bph s2000 lol.. No assists!

Soldato
The goodwood events are the only ones I struggle to get gold with! I've golded every single other race event and I'm 90% trhough the amateur events and done a few of the new class up too. It is definitely easier than GT5. But I'm getting bored of it already, the balance between grind and reward is just a bit too harsh I think.

Soldato
Another tip to improve sound whilst racing is side swipe somebody as you pass them, Think it knocks a window out or summit but things get louder. Only do this Offline obviously.

A hope for future sound improvement is that when passing a Scooby or other throaty motor you can hear the exhaust rasp quite nice therefore better sound is already coded into the game it just needs patching over to replace the **** Hoover sounds.

Also make sure you regularly Back up your data, I've put mine on USB stick & signed up for PS + to auto upload my Saves.
Players are reporting random corruptions which knock them back to no motors or cash so they have to reinstal etc This isn't to do with any of the Glitches either it's just a random corruption error that pops up now & again.
With all my cars/tweaks, tuning, paint & wheel swaps & my bank balance I'm taking no risks when it comes to Saves.

I've been doing this since the PS3 came out, it is so quick and easy to do it.
Plus the file sizes are pretty small so you can backup all your games on even a modest size USB stick.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I got my PSN+ syncing between 2 & 4am, When I switched the PS3 on this morning it told me everything had been auto backed up. I've also saved my progress to USB stick which takes minutes to do so I can always get back to where I am now no matter what.

I did my iA license yesterday, just flew through it didn't repeat anything so only got Bronzes & Silvers but all i wanted was the License asap.
Stepped into an iA race with 12 cars in it & still managed to win the race although it does test me starting from 10th & only having a few laps to get to 1st.

One thing since I've had this game & got up to iA doing untold races & getting Golds all the way I can say that the reward system is a right **** take. I'd like a mathematician to work out how long it would take to unlock say 50 decent cars & tune & mod them as I reckon playing this game straight it would take literally decades to get the garage you want.

Anybody reading this considering getting the game needs to get it now & sort your garage out before things change.
With a garage of decent motors to use this game is Epic & will give me untold hours of play now & a long way into the future.

Back
Top Bottom