• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphic Card recommendation for 49” monitor

Associate
Planning on picking up a Samsung CRG9 monitor with a 5120 x 1440 Dual QHD resolution.

I’d welcome a recommendation for a graphics card - I’m not a hard core gamer, it’s be used for work primarily, with perhaps an occasional weekend play session.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Associate
A midrange card will probably be fine for you if you're not bothered about maxing out games. What's your budget, and also what work are you primarily doing on the computer?

Caporegime
A midrange card will probably be fine for you if you're not bothered about maxing out games. What's your budget, and also what work are you primarily doing on the computer?

It's the equivalent of driving dual 1440p screens.

I'd say he needs a high end card to drive that number of pixels.

But it depends on what games, if he's playing csgo then he will be fine with a 1660 super but if he's playing red dead then he will need a 2070 super as bare minimum but the more powerful the better

Associate
It's the equivalent of driving dual 1440p screens.

I'd say he needs a high end card to drive that number of pixels.

But it depends on what games, if he's playing csgo then he will be fine with a 1660 super but if he's playing red dead then he will need a 2070 super as bare minimum but the more powerful the better
Yeah I totally get that, I define midrange to be in the £200-300 mark these days so close to what you're suggesting. Was kinda why I was asking the guy what he's actually going to be doing with it because that obviously makes a difference. I was also using 4K benchmarks as a good reference for his resolution.

Associate
So it's likely that you'd need an expensive card to begin with for your work right? If you're spending so much for the other parts (I think I saw you asking for 1TB of ram wow), you may as well spend a decent amount on a graphics card like a 2080Ti?

Associate
OP
It’s a shame the TRX40 motherboards only support up to 256GB. My ‘in work’ machine is a dual 16 core Xeon with 1TB RAM - I had been hoping to be able to duplicate that on a smaller budget.

Caporegime
It’s a shame the TRX40 motherboards only support up to 256GB. My ‘in work’ machine is a dual 16 core Xeon with 1TB RAM - I had been hoping to be able to duplicate that on a smaller budget.

At those specs there is no such thing as cheap tbh.

1tb of ram is 100 times more than what the average gamer has.

And most people that go overboard spec 32GB when only 16GB is already overkill for gaming. 8GB is what I would spec on a budget and still perfectly usable.

If you are getting as close to 1TB of ram as possible then you need the quadro range of gpu's not the gaming mainstream versions.

There is no way a 2070 super will do the job. It will be far too slow.

Soldato
My ‘in work’ machine is a dual 16 core Xeon with 1TB RAM - I had been hoping to be able to duplicate that on a smaller budget.

Are you sure that Epyc workstation motherboards and CPUs are not in-budget? Epyc workstation motherboards are about £500 and an Epyc 7402P 24 core CPU is about £1600. That's not much more than Threadripper.

Back
Top Bottom