1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic Novels

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by CliffyBiro, 7 Nov 2010.

1. CliffyBiro

Caporegime

Hey hey.

Looking to pick up my first graphic novels but unsure where I should start. It can be a bit overwhelming when walking into the likes of Forbidden Planet and being confronted by 100s of comics and novels from different ages.

Basically where should I start with these 3?

Superman
    Batman
    Deadpool

Preferably they should offer plenty of background story.

Ta for any suggestions. :)

2. Grandmaster Fap!

Sgarrista

For Batman i'd start with BM:Year One and BM:The Dark Knight returns.

3. CliffyBiro

Caporegime

I've been looking at Batman Year One, Superman Red Son, and Superman Earth One.

4. Shamikebab

Capo Crimine

Second those two for Batman,

Hush and The Killing Joke are worth getting as well.

5. Robbie Ragdoll

Gangster

For Batman id start wth Long Halloween, imo best batman book. Hush is brilliant to, and if you dont want to sleep for a few days give Arkham Asylum a read.

Try some of the Marvel stuff as well. Ultimates is brilliant and written by the same guy who wrote Kick Ass.

6. CliffyBiro

Caporegime

Ordered:

Batman: Year One
    Batman: Hush
    Superman: Red Son
    Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War

Will get DKR later on or for Xmas maybe.

7. TheBigCheese

Mobster

It's not exactly what you talked about but I would highly recommend the Marvel Ultimate Galactus Trilogy TPB.

Without saying too much about it I found the exploration of different cultures fascinating, it's so well done flicking between the past and the present that it's a book I keep going back to read.

I haven't started on the DC universe as yet, I've mainly read the Marvel Ultimate universe but for something different I got Watchmen and V for Vendetta.

They are harder books to get into, especially V as the art is more difficult to understand but both are incredibly worthwhile.

8. shorttricky

Wise Guy

Consider reading Batman: Death in the Family before you read Hush. It's about the 2nd Robin, Jason Todd, who took after when Dick Grayson left.

It's a really important point in Batman lore, and it's brought up in Hush.

Killing Joke and DKR are excellent. Long Hallowe'en is another good book (based around early Batman). Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk are also both great reads and don't need a lot of background knowledge.

Kingdom Come is another great book, and has some of the best artwork you'll ever see in a comic.

If you fancy some Marvel, the Ultimate range are basically Marvel reboots of some of the lines, and are generally excellent (Ultimate Spiderman aside). Ultimate X-Men is good, Ultimate Fantastic Four is excellent, Ultimates is astonishing. Ultimate Galactus is also very good, but you should really read Ultimates first.

The new Captain America series by Ed Brubaker is also superb.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2010
  9. Von Smallhausen

Man of Honour

Other ones to try Skippi.

Preacher, 9 volumes and the best graphic novels I have read to date.

Punisher Max, 5 volumes and very hard hitting.

10. emmjaybee

Gangster

Maximum Carnage - starring everyone's favourite wall crawler and his big bad nemesis. Lots of action and lots of Marvel Characters.