1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics card damaged when shipping - can I get refund off royal mail?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Vegeta, 27 May 2006.

1. Vegeta

Soldato

Hi, I recently sold my 7800gtx to someone and they claim its broken, it worked 100% for me though, I was wondering if there is anychance that I could get royal mail to refund me for the broken card as it was fine here, arrived broken there, or am I just being stupid.

2. Malkie

PermaBanned

It would depend on what method you used to post it and alo the value you insured it for.

Claiming againt royal mail isnt the easiest thing in the world so good luck.

3. Vegeta

Soldato

I used special delivery (Its insured upto £500 as standard right?) and it was packed really really well, would I have to prove it worked on this pc before it was sent? Would 3dmark orbs do lol.

4. Fr0dders

Caporegime

insurance for RM recorded is something pathetic like £25

but if you sent it registered (special delivery) the insurance is £500 so claiming shouldnt be a problem

i allways advise people buying off me from MM or whatever to go for SD, as i know what pains RM can be.

especially as i work for a mail order company, i see it every day.

5. Vegeta

Soldato

Would 3dmark orbs be enough do you reckon lads as evidence? I cant afford to just lose a 7800gtx lol.

6. Fr0dders

Caporegime

not sure just have to ring them

but id stretch the truth about how much it works, cos i dnnt see them giving a refund for "orbs in 3dmark" how is the royal mail person gonna know what that is ?

just explain that its a sensitive electrical device, pc component, that no longer works. dont go into too much detail as you'll shoot yourself in the foot.

7. Vegeta

Soldato

If I say sensitive electrical component, would they just say you should have put fragile on the packaging, if you didnt do this we wont pay you, then I go no I didnt do that?

Man I hope I dont screw this up.

8. trojan698

Soldato

if you had adequete packaging it'll be fine. They reserve the special treatment for SD anyway, part of why you pay the premium for it.

9. Vegeta

Soldato

I hope so, the good thing is the market value is like £290 the cheapest i've seen it, I sold it for £200, could make a profit yet lol.

10. teggs

Gangster

also remember, royal mail will want to see the packaging to ensure it was adequately packed. make sure the guy who received it hasn't thrown it away.

11. Vegeta

Soldato

If he has then i'm blaming him and he aint getting nout off me lol.

12. dunno

Wise Guy

What did the guy you sold it to say was wrong with it?

Maybe the guy you sold it to overclocked it and broke it, maybe he/she has a duff power supply.

If the package was damaged when the guy recived it he/she should have written that on the signature thing otherwise you will have a tough time getting money off royal mail.

13. Vegeta

Soldato

Hmm, well the guy claims the card doesnt boot, he says his ATI one does and this doesnt, he has a 550W antec and a normal pc so I dont think its the power supply, and he did use the power cable thing.

14. Ghuraba

Wise Guy

I work for Royal Mail and to be honest I think England have more chance of winning the World Cup than you have of getting any money from Royal Mail. Unless you can prove the Parcel was damaged by Royal Mail you have no chance. But, I hope I'm wrong.

Michael

15. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

a card not booting up could be any problem. i suggest he try it in another pc or he sends it back to you and if it still works for you then you know he is full of crap and refund him the money minus the delivery charges you have suffered.

16. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Yeah id get him to send it back, and make sure you get the sanme card back that you sent

17. pcknight

PermaBanned

Tell him to remove all the ATI drivers thoroughly first (Driver Cleaner) turn the pc off and install the 7800 then install the Nvidia drivers. Might help.

18. Vegeta

Soldato

Do drivers matter though? Because the card doesnt even boot this cant be a driver problem?

19. Noni

PermaBanned

Did he boot in safe mode?

20. Vegeta

Soldato

By boot I assume his pc doesnt start? Hmm I should really find out what the problem is lol.