• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics Card Failed?

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Hi,

I have a nearly 5 year old AMD 7870. I was just browsing the internet like normal when suddenly the screen went grey, then returned but with everything at a very low resolution, then started flickering between the two.

Upon restart there is no input to my monitor now and the GPU fans rev up to full power and don't get quiet, as if they've defaulted to their fail safe mode.

Does this sound like a GPU failure? Unfortunately I don't have another GPU on hand to swap in so can't do an easy test that way.

The rest of my specs are Q6600, 6gb of DDR2 and a Samsung 850 EVO, so apart from the SSD given the other components are nearly 10 years old it could be one of those as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Soldato
No one local, so you can test the card on another machine?

It did sound like a driver fault but if it won't boot at all it could be dead(ish)

Try unplugging every thing and then reconnect first. Just have the ram cpu mobo and GPU plugged in to start with.

Soldato
@Klo sounds like a good reason to treat yourself :D

push the boat and upgrade the CPU/Board too :D

had an i7 860 and gained 15-30 fps with switching to i5 7600k using 980/ti/1060/70/80 . No its not your original inquiry but you only live once :D

Back
Top Bottom