• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card outputs HDMI signal in one PC, but not in another?

Associate
I have a couple of basic Dell desktops and after replacing the screen for one I needed a a HDMI output as the machine is only VGA onboard.

Enter a cheap MSI GeForce GT 710.

In the machine I need it in, it boots, you get the start of Windows 10 logo, then the monitor drops out and says "no signal"?

In a very similar machine, slightly older Dell, same product line, Windows 10 pro, same build, same HDMI cable, same new monitor etc. Plug in card, boot, Windows starts, desktop available, all good!

What gives?

I thought maybe it was a HDCP issue kicking in with Windows 10, but I'm using the same cable to the new monitor?

I'm not sure it is a driver issue as the 2nd machine never had any drivers installed, just plugged the card in and away it went working.

Do the same on the machine that needs the HDMI connection to the new monitor and the signal output seemingly dies just after the Windows logo starts to load.

Ideas? It's a machine in constant use so I've swapped the screen for an older VGA screen. This can only be temporary as all screens are being replaced longer term.

I would love to understand why HDMI seemingly doesn't work on one machine vs another.

Associate
OP
I'm guessing it is drivers, but wondered if it was something others had seen.

Cutting off just after Windows starts to load makes me think the 1st machine has some sort of unusual driver / old config on it that causes the display to stop working.

I really didn't want to flatten it as it's setup with some unique software thats a pain to register but I may have to.

Back
Top Bottom