Graphics Card Upgrade for old PC

TJT

TJT

Associate
Hi
I have a 12 year old PC built with components from OC which is still working great. Would anyone know what type of graphics card would still fit and how high a spec could I go that would be compatible with the old components and not bottleneck the CPU? Also what type of memory can be fitted? The PC is only used to run the iRacing sim game.

Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58 UD4 -5
CPU: i7 [email protected] GHz 3.06

Thanks to anyone who might be able to offer some advice.

Terry

Man of Honour
The cpu will hold anything remotely modern back but im sure there are some £10 drop in Xeon options in x58 (x5675 & W3690) . You could get a very cheap cpu upgrade on a second hand xeon. Pair that with something like a 1660ti and you should be golden.

TJT

TJT

Associate
OP
Thanks very much Vince for your reply - very helpful, although I can't find a Xeon you mentioned quite that cheap but I'll keep looking. I assume I have to stick with ddr3 memory modules with that motherboard. Thanks again.

Associate
I bought a x5675 on ebay for £20 two weeks ago had a x5670 previously and oc to 4.4ghz, i have mine paired with a rx480 8gb and its entirely gpu bound.

Soldato
Thanks very much Vince for your reply - very helpful, although I can't find a Xeon you mentioned quite that cheap but I'll keep looking. I assume I have to stick with ddr3 memory modules with that motherboard. Thanks again.
Check for X5650

TJT

TJT

Associate
OP
Oh dear , I implore you to get one a mechanical hard drive is the biggest bottle neck on a modern computer, loading times will be faster and system will feel much snappier to respond.

You can get A 500gb ssd for about £45.

Yes, I know. I do have a pretty good spec modern PC including an SSD used for everything else but the old computer is only used for iRacing sim. It's a question of balancing a reasonable improvement against spending too much money on such an old machine. I'm not even sure if you could fit one in such an old motherboard?

Man of Honour
Yes, I know. I do have a pretty good spec modern PC including an SSD used for everything else but the old computer is only used for iRacing sim. It's a question of balancing a reasonable improvement against spending too much money on such an old machine. I'm not even sure if you could fit one in such an old motherboard?
You could fit one but the motherboard is limited to sata 2 which reduces the speed.

In the end it your decision but totally understand.

How does it perform in sim racing at the moment ?

Soldato

You need to do some research, but PCI-E to M.2 or SATA. Probably best avoid NVME though.

TJT

TJT

Associate
OP
You could fit one but the motherboard is limited to sata 2 which reduces the speed.

In the end it your decision but totally understand.

How does it perform in sim racing at the moment ?
I get about 70fps but at fairly low graphic settings which would be nice to turn up a bit for the immersion

Back
Top Bottom