Graphics card without full cover?

Soldato
Because I was upgrading to triple monitors I thought I'd best grab another graphics card, so now I have 2 Asus 980 GTX Strix in SLI. It is as you might imagine loud, and it heats everything else in the case up.

It's over 10 years since I did any watercooling but I still remember the basics. It does seem that things have moved on and are a lot better now.

The first thing I'll need to know is if my cards can be watercooled. I know EK have an EOL block specifically for the card, but given that I'm not going to be able to buy that.... are there any generic solutions that will do the job competently, with I guess passive cooling on the VRMs and memory? If not it means selling these cards on and getting new cards and blocks.

Associate
There was a guy on OCN who ran his TxP-s upto 4xSLI on universal blocks while heavily OC-d with no problems, so I`m sure 980 will be no problem either, he didnt have any cooling for VRM-s or memory so you should be good.

Soldato
OP
I'm looking at prices etc and thinking about the hassle involved and it may be better to fully explore a bigger case for better air cooling first - but thanks!

Associate
You could always go for the NZXT all-in-one cooler upgrade way? Pick up a couple of NZXT G10 kits and a couple of AIO 120mm coolers of your choice and you can have both cards cooled nicely as they will still have a fan to cool the VRMs and memory modules.

You'd need two 120mm fan spots though, and it might be cheaper to upgrade your case if you are sure that will do the trick :p

Soldato
OP
Well I wasn't sure it would do the trick but it was better than the other options..... until I found the 980 Strix blocks for sale used, clearance in a shop in NZ and they're able to ship them to me. So watercooling it is!

Soldato
OP
Well... for once I'll be able to take my time with it. I'm going to use the GPUs, CPU, memory and M2 and PSU I have installed. But I have a spare PSU and spare CPU so I'll be able to build it up to a point, then remove the GPUs from this PC and go down to integrated GPU only, while I finish it off and just fire in memory and m2 as the last step. So I'll be able to do it exactly right... which means I'll use hardline tubing and avoid having to do any bend fittings or have any spaghetti tubing. Case, a radiator and fans and the MB (extreme IX) arrive tomorrow so I'll be able to work out what goes where for the build and get it planned out exactly right. I'm thinking no harm in extra radiator space, it'll just mean the PWM fans can spin slower.

Back
Top Bottom