• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics upgrade but on a old system!

Associate
evening all,

i wonder if you can help, i'm a little stuck. i've been tasked to upgrade a friends gpu however, it's a old system!

From what i can gather it's a intel e4300, a gigabyte g31 chipset mobo, 2 gb ddr2, a couple of sata dvd and hdd, a unknown psu (however, it does appear to have a dedicated 6 pin plug) and currently it has a old nvidia 9400gt in there.

the aim is to play the likes of bfbc2, borderlands, minecraft (so nothing too new or drastic) at reasonable framerates and med-high settings. budget it £80-90

browsing around i found these two, however, i'm at a loss whether or not they'd make a huge difference because of the age of the system overal.

alas a complete upgrade isn't even feasible :(

YOUR BASKET
1 x Asus GeForce GTX 650 DirectCU 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £89.99
1 x Sapphire Radeon R7 250 Boost 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Card £77.99
Total : £177.58 (includes shipping : £8.00).

Soldato
Usually people would recommend to go second hand so you can get more bang for your buck but considering the weak CPU and unknown PSU, it might be worth going for a new, lower power GPU like the ones you suggest. I would say an ATI 7850- I'm not sure if this is the same as the R7 250!

Back
Top Bottom