Graphics upgrade, worth it or do i wait?

Associate
Hey all,

So it's around that time where my ~6/7 year old build is becoming outdated. This time i'm massively out of the loop as the machine has served me well up until now.

I can't afford to fully upgrade the system at the moment although i plan to in the next year or so..

I am wondering if it's worth just upgrading the graphics card(s) for now as i'm noticing that my PC is struggling in newer games (pubg especially) and generally slow when multi tasking video/photo editing.

Current spec:

Mobo: Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67
CPU: I7 2600k @ 4ghz
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H80i
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
GFX: 2x MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC Gaming Edition 2048MB (SLI)
Storage: 256GB SSD + 1TB SATA
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w

I have 2x 144hz monitors

I had an idea to sell the 2x760's then add some more money towards a 1060 6GB card. Roughly £100 or so (depending how much i can sell my old cards for)

Question is though, is it worth the upgrade to tide me over until i can afford a whole new system or should i just wait?

Any advice is appreciated

Associate
If you push your 2600K as far as it will go (4.7 should be possible on pretty much any 2600K IME unless u got a crappy one in which case 4.6 should be possible. I got mine to 4.8 no prob) I think you're ok to get a 1060 6GB and be ok for another while.
Sure your 2600K can't hold a candle to a Kaby or Coffee i7 but it's still good enough for anything but the most CPU hammering games. And with a 1060 you shouldn't be kneecapped too badly. You already have 16GB of RAM so that's good. I say go for it.

As far as SLI goes, it's dead. very few games support multiple graphics cards as it is a pointless endeavour these days given that even one 1080Ti can handle 4K nicely.

Associate
OP
Sounds good, I think i will end up going for it. I had my I7 clocked at 4.5ghz for a while but saw stability issues so i lowered it down to 4ghz. I didn't really spend much time troubleshooting/testing it.
I will most likely revisit the overclock if i do upgrade the card :)
For a bit of background info - I got the 2nd 760 for free from a friend, so essentially it was a free upgrade to get me by, They use an awful lot of power though!

Thanks for the advice

Associate
OP
Update: PC blew up last night (power supply) so looks like i'm in the market for one of those too.

Looking at this one: Corsair RM850X 850W Modular

Also my friend told me that the 1070ti is due out within the next couple of days/weeks so i may hold off (and possibly fork out for this card to save upgrading it again later)

Soldato
Update: PC blew up last night (power supply) so looks like i'm in the market for one of those too.

Looking at this one: Corsair RM850X 850W Modular

Also my friend told me that the 1070ti is due out within the next couple of days/weeks so i may hold off (and possibly fork out for this card to save upgrading it again later)

pre order now! release on the 2nd

Associate
You don't need 850W. A 650W will do just fine, you could even go to a 550W if you replace the graphics cards at the same time, and certainly I would go for a 1070 rather than a 1060, since you have two 144Hz monitors.

Associate
OP
Yeah i realised 850W is abit overkill, Just thinking for futureproof although even then it may be overkill.

How about this one: Whisper M Series 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular

Not heard of this brand before but i like the fact that it's fully modular and also has dual GPU power which would allow SLI in future (if i decide to go down that route later on)

The one problem i seem to have with PSU's is that the CPU power cables are generally too short for my case, so far i have managed with some dodgy routing of the cables.

Long shot but wondering if anyone knows wether the CPU power cables in this PSU would reach in my Corsair 750D Case or am i to buy an extension cable to be sure?

Soldato
The one problem i seem to have with PSU's is that the CPU power cables are generally too short for my case, so far i have managed with some dodgy routing of the cables.

OCUK sell Akasa extension cables:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £20.13
(includes shipping: £8.70)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the links, may aswell get an extension anyway i guess as it'll allow for better cable management.

Here's what my current basket is looking like. Hovering over the checkout button as we speak!

Total: £524.07 inc shipping

If anyone has any last minute advice before i pull the trigger please let me know but so far thanks for all the suggestions/info, It's much appreciated.

Associate
maybe compare how an entry level 1080 compares since its only a few pounds more

This ^ The 1080 is quite a bit better than the 1070Ti, only costs a bit more and you get Destiny 2 free with some models AFAIK. I was waiting for the 1070Ti to come out as I wanted an upgrade maybe, but I wont bother for the price it is.

Soldato
Let's hope that O'CrapZ didn't take anything with it.

Instantly after reading first post was thinking how long that junk capacitor garbage would last.
It should have been replaced couple years ago:
Its capacitors are at best third rate junk and buried under wire spaghetti to minimize cooling.

BTW, do you still have that dead PSU and camera capable to close up photos?
Could try to figure out what gave up in it.

Back
Top Bottom