Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [25th-28th Sep 2020]

Soldato
Not too disappointed tbh. Nearly all teams lose at Anfield and we certainly haven’t crumbled like previous years.

Liverpool going for the title again, Arsenal looking for top 4. Think both teams can be positive about tonight.

You've offered absolutely nothing. Again you scored because of our errors like the game last season. I like Arteta but had you actually come out of your half in the first half you might have had a better shot at a result.

Caporegime
I really don't understand why we play so many pointless passes in the box from goal kicks. Literally inviting Liverpool onto us. Why not knock it long a couple of times just to mix things up.

Trying to bait Liverpool further up, beat the press slightly and hoof it into space looked like

Caporegime
Happy with that. Great team performance and some outstanding individual performances. Great cameo from Jota as well, like the way he uses his body to win the ball. Alisson arguably kept us ahead though so still a lot to work on at the back.

Caporegime
You've offered absolutely nothing. Again you scored because of our errors like the game last season. I like Arteta but had you actually come out of your half in the first half you might have had a better shot at a result.
Can I not say anything positive about my team without you jumping down my throat? If it hadn’t been for Laca screwing a chance up, it could have been a different story.

Well done Liverpool, you deserved it, but don’t sit there and say we offered nothing, when we clearly battled harder and looked a lot more cohesive and determined than we have in the past when we’ve come to Anfield and bent over for you.

Man of Honour
OP
There's some truth to it though, I reckon Arteta got it wrong in the first half and Ceballos should've started. The lack of creativity from midfield is a massive concern.

Soldato
Can I not say anything positive about my team without you jumping down my throat? If it hadn’t been for Laca screwing a chance up, it could have been a different.

Well done Liverpool, you deserved it, but don’t sit there and say we offered nothing, when we clearly battled harder and looked a lot more cohesive and determined than we have in the past when we’ve come to Anfield and bent over for you.

I havent quoted you for months. I believe the last time i did was when you said you deserved the win at the Emirates last season despite on the day saying you didnt. I agree Re Lacazette, however we had more then a single chance so the argument goes both ways.

I like Arteta and I think he's moving you forward as a club but at some point he has to start playing football. How did Ceballos, who imo is your best midfielder not start? If you didnt know who the Arsenal manager was tonight and you had to guess then it could quite easily have been Big Sam or Pulis.

Caporegime
I havent quoted you for months. I believe the last time i did was when you said you deserved the win at the Emirates last season despite on the day saying you didnt. I agree Re Lacazette, however we had more then a single chance so the argument goes both ways.

I like Arteta and I think he's moving you forward as a club but at some point he has to start playing football. How did Ceballos, who imo is your best midfielder not start? If you didnt know who the Arsenal manager was tonight and you had to guess then it could quite easily have been Big Sam or Pulis.
I agree about Ceballos. Not enough creativity with Elneny and Xhaka.

I still say we sold the wrong keeper. Leno looked dodgy AF again tonight.

Hopefully we can bring another midfielder in this window. Aouar would be great.

Caporegime
Can't remember a team ever using a fullback as much as Trent, no matter who has the ball and what position they're in they pass to him if he's free.

Edit: Keane just bricked it when Klopp questioned him :o

Don
That was probably a much better performance than it will end up getting credit for. We dominated the first half and when Arsenal scored another spawny goal against us I was thinking not again, how can a side be dominated so much and keep fluking results. Thankfully we got the quick equaliser and didn't really look back from there. Similar to last season, some of the comments regarding our high line and teams getting in behind us are being way over played. Arsenal ran in behind us 3 times and 2 of them were offside and would have been ruled out - we're intentionally playing this high line knowing VAR will clear up any mistakes the lino might make. Arsenal running in behind us once (legitimately) over 90 minutes is hardly terrible, especially with the quality they have.

The only real criticism is that we didn't kill the game off with a 3rd goal sooner than we did. Mane was outstanding, Salah not far behind him and it was really pleasing for Jota to come on and get a goal. He really does look like a wide forward that plays in the same way that Salah and Mane do, looking to get into the 6 yard box.
Alisson arguably kept us ahead though so still a lot to work on at the back.
He effectively made one save, a big save admittedly but both the other save from Laca and the clearance when Nketiah ran in behind were clearly offside and would have been ruled out had anything come from them.

Soldato
I agree about Ceballos. Not enough creativity with Elneny and Xhaka.

I still say we sold the wrong keeper. Leno looked dodgy AF again tonight.

I dont think Leno did anything overly wrong. I think you needed to make some money and Martinez was the easy sell.

Elneny and Xhaka is Alladyce stuff. Thats all im saying...Its a midfield pairing i expect West Ham to put up when at home to Wigan. Arsenal to me have decent forwards...use them. Dont have them running against Gomez and Van Dijk who themselves are very quick.

Can't remember a team ever using a fullback as much as Trent, no matter who has the ball and what position they're in they pass to him if he's free.

Edit: Keane just bricked it when Klopp questioned him :o

Yet he gets absolutely battered by football twitter if he makes a mistake. I can't remember who said it but he's like having KDB at rb.

Soldato
That was probably a much better performance than it will end up getting credit for. We dominated the first half and when Arsenal scored another spawny goal against us I was thinking not again, how can a side be dominated so much and keep fluking results. Thankfully we got the quick equaliser and didn't really look back from there. Similar to last season, some of the comments regarding our high line and teams getting in behind us are being way over played. Arsenal ran in behind us 3 times and 2 of them were offside and would have been ruled out - we're intentionally playing this high line knowing VAR will clear up any mistakes the lino might make. Arsenal running in behind us once (legitimately) over 90 minutes is hardly terrible, especially with the quality they have.

The only real criticism is that we didn't kill the game off with a 3rd goal sooner than we did. Mane was outstanding, Salah not far behind him and it was really pleasing for Jota to come on and get a goal. He really does look like a wide forward that plays in the same way that Salah and Mane do, looking to get into the 6 yard box.

He effectively made one save, a big save admittedly but both the other save from Laca and the clearance when Nketiah ran in behind were clearly offside and would have been ruled out had anything come from them.

I dont know a lot about Jota BUT doesnt he prefer to play through the middle? He missed a few tonight but to have three opportunities in 15 or so minutes is very promising.

Caporegime
Yet he gets absolutely battered by football twitter if he makes a mistake. I can't remember who said it but he's like having KDB at rb.
I'm as guilty as most for picking on his weak points, and I do believe there's massive improvements to be made in his defending, but he's a ridiculous talent and way ahead of Gerrard at a similar age.

Caporegime
I dont think Leno did anything overly wrong. I think you needed to make some money and Martinez was the easy sell.

Elneny and Xhaka is Alladyce stuff. Thats all im saying...Its a midfield pairing i expect West Ham to put up when at home to Wigan. Arsenal to me have decent forwards...use them. Dont have them running against Gomez and Van Dijk who themselves are very quick.

Completely agree. A player like Ceballos or hopefully Aouar has to be starting so at least we have a chance of unlocking defences with killer passes.

Don
I dont know a lot about Jota BUT doesnt he prefer to play through the middle? He missed a few tonight but to have three opportunities in 15 or so minutes is very promising.
Last season he either played left or kind of alongside Jimenez in a 2. I was looking at some stats and the season Wolves were promoted he played a lot on the right too. I think his preference is the left but I'm not too sure he minds and he's clearly effective in all 3 positions.

Back
Top Bottom