Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [9th - 12th April 2021]

Caporegime
Absolutely ridiculous Wolves goal ruled offside, I like how they have complex handball rules where handball isn't handball but they call that offside.

Caporegime
They treat handball as subjective so I don't know why they can't do the same with offside, with the current black and white system and anal line drawing I'd rather see it like with the ball on goal line where a player has to be 100% offside (totally over). 0.0000001% of a players body sticking out shouldn't be classed as offside even if you have flawless technology (which we don't).

Last edited:
Soldato
They treat handball as subjective so I don't know why they can't do the same with offside, with the current black and white system and anal line drawing I'd rather see it like with the ball on goal line where a player has to be 100% offside (totally over). 0.0000001% of a players body sticking out shouldn't be classed as offside even if you have flawless technology (which we don't).

If you have to start drawing lines...give the goal.

Caporegime

But then you'd see the exact same discussions with players being offside because a heel is 1mm past a defender. As long as the line is fixed it doesn't matter where you put it.

Don
Re the offside law and VAR, it's here to stay but the good news is new technology for VAR to use is on the way. The offside decisions we see now are no different to the ones pre-var (although less accurate) - we were still getting offsides given for a player being 2cm offside (and also when they were 2cm onside), we just didn't spend 5 minutes looking at it. That's all going to change relatively soon though. There's a new semi automated system that's being worked on and should be ready for the 2022 World Cup. It will use limb tracking technology to instanty inform VAR whether a player is in an offside position and all he will have to do is determine whether they're active or not - the idea is the final decision should be made within just a few seconds, with no lines being drawn on the pitch.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blo...fside-why-arsene-wenger-thinks-it-can-fix-var

Back
Top Bottom