Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [9th - 12th April 2021]

Don
Right I get that but we can literally see it in that still image?
So? They cannot make up how var is used on the spot. The protocol is they have to plot the furthest forward points and that wasn't possible to do so they couldn't do anything. Maybe in this instance we can see but there will be closer instances where a player looks on/off from the angle of the replay but when the lines are plotted it turns out they're off/on - if they start moving away from the protocol in place then you'll get mistakes.

Anyway as I mentioned the other day, it's not going to be that long until a new automated system is brought into place - no more lines, no more delay. We'll still have close calls, just like we did pre-var) but we'll have correct calls without all the drawbacks. VAR for subjective decisions can get in the bin though.

Caporegime
But why can't they just plot from a different point? Like we can see a point on the defender that looks like it makes him onside, if they can show a point that shows him as onside then it doesn't matter if there is a further point?

Don
I've no idea the relevance of the question. The issue is that they cannot see the furthest point forward of the defender and the goalscorer.
But why can't they just plot from a different point? Like we can see a point on the defender that looks like it makes him onside, if they can show a point that shows him as onside then it doesn't matter if there is a further point?
Because that's not the protocol. I know it feels like a "computer says no" moment but that's because it is. There's no discretion for the var official - he has his process he has to carry out and if he cannot do that then he can't overturn the decision.

Soldato
I've no idea the relevance of the question. The issue is that they cannot see the furthest point forward of the defender and the goalscorer.

Because that's not the protocol. I know it feels like a "computer says no" moment but that's because it is. There's no discretion for the var official - he has his process he has to carry out and if he cannot do that then he can't overturn the decision.
But they can?

Caporegime
It just feels like an excuse to cover up a mistake to me. I can't believe that with the 16 or so cameras they have they couldn't find a single usable shot. It's not like the player are being covered by others really. If it was this bad you would have thought this situation would have arisen before.

Don
I've been the first to criticise the PGMOL for looking to cover officials with bs excuses but it's not the case here. When using the tech they have a process that needs to be used and in the case of offsides it's fundemental to getting the right result. This incident has just exposed a flaw in the protocol and maybe from next season they'll tweak it so that providing you can plot any point on a forward/defender that shows they're on or offside then that's sufficient.
But they can?
No they can't :confused:

Soldato
I've been the first to criticise the PGMOL for looking to cover officials with bs excuses but it's not the case here. When using the tech they have a process that needs to be used and in the case of offsides it's fundemental to getting the right result. This incident has just exposed a flaw in the protocol and maybe from next season they'll tweak it so that providing you can plot any point on a forward/defender that shows they're on or offside then that's sufficient.

No they can't :confused:

The goalscorer is absolutely clear. You can see every single part of him. As for the defender, use his visible arse if you want....still onside.

Don
The goalscorer is absolutely clear.
But not the defender. You replied to my post saying you couldn't see the furtherest point of both the goalscorer and defender saying you can, you can't! Nothing else makes any difference. As soon as the var official cannot plot his points then he cannot overturn the onfield decision.

It's no different to the Dortmund goal vs City where the ref blew before the ball went in. You can argue all you like about how the whistle made no difference, no defenders could have got back etc etc, there's nothing var could do because the game was stopped. There are clear protocols that VAR officials need to follow and they cannot change those.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
It's highlighted a flaw in the process, which is good and thankfully for West Brom it's not resulted in them dropping points.

Back
Top Bottom