Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [14th - 17th Jan 2012]

Soldato

Code:
[B][SIZE=3]Saturday, 14 January[/SIZE][/B]

[B][U]Barclays Premier League[/U][/B]                  [B][U]Npower Championship[/U][/B]

[B]15:00 |[/B] Aston Villa v Everton            [B]15:00 |[/B] Brighton v Bristol City
[B]15:00 |[/B] Blackburn v Fulham               [B]15:00 |[/B] Crystal Palace v Leeds
[B]15:00 |[/B] Chelsea v Sunderland             [B]15:00 |[/B] Derby v Coventry
[B]15:00 |[/B] Liverpool v Stoke                [B]15:00 |[/B] Doncaster v Cardiff
[B]15:00 |[/B] Man Utd v Bolton [B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]5L[/COLOR][/B]              [B]15:00 |[/B] Hull v Peterborough
[B]15:00 |[/B] Tottenham v Wolverhampton        [B]15:00 |[/B] Ipswich v Blackpool
[B]15:00 |[/B] West Brom v Norwich              [B]15:00 |[/B] Leicester v Barnsley
                                         [B]15:00 |[/B] Middlesbrough v Burnley
                                         [B]15:00 |[/B] Millwall v Birmingham
                                         [B]15:00 |[/B] Nott'm Forest v Southampton
                                         [B]15:00 |[/B] Portsmouth v West Ham
                                         [B]17:20 |[/B] Watford v Reading [B][COLOR="Red"]SS2/HD[/COLOR][/B]

[B][U]Npower League One[/U][/B]                        [B][U]Npower League Two[/U][/B]

[B]15:00 |[/B] Bournemouth v Notts County       [B]15:00 |[/B] Accrington Stanley v Barnet
[B]15:00 |[/B] Brentford v Walsall              [B]15:00 |[/B] Bradford v Morecambe
[B]15:00 |[/B] Bury v Sheffield Utd             [B]15:00 |[/B] Bristol Rovers v Crawley Town
[B]15:00 |[/B] Colchester v Scvnthorpe          [B]15:00 |[/B] Cheltenham v Aldershot
[B]15:00 |[/B] Exeter v Hartlepool              [B]15:00 |[/B] Dag & Red v Hereford
[B]15:00 |[/B] Huddersfield v Oldham            [B]15:00 |[/B] Macclesfield v Torquay
[B]15:00 |[/B] Leyton Orient v Chesterfield     [B]15:00 |[/B] Northampton v Southend
[B]15:00 |[/B] MK Dons v Carlisle               [B]15:00 |[/B] Oxford Utd v Crewe
[B]15:00 |[/B] Preston v Wycombe                [B]15:00 |[/B] Plymouth v Burton Albion
[B]15:00 |[/B] Rochdale v Stevenage             [B]15:00 |[/B] Port Vale v AFC Wimbledon
[B]15:00 |[/B] Sheffield Wed v Charlton         [B]15:00 |[/B] Rotherham v Swindon
[B]15:00 |[/B] Yeovil v Tranmere                [B]15:00 |[/B] Shrewsbury v Gillingham

Code:
[B][SIZE=3]Sunday, 15 January[/SIZE][/B]

[B][U]Barclays Premier League[/U][/B]

[B]13:30 |[/B] Newcastle v QPR [B][COLOR="Yellow"]TS[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]SS1/HD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]16:00 |[/B] Swansea v Arsenal [B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]5L[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]SS1/HD[/COLOR][/B]

Code:
[B][SIZE=3]Monday, 16 January[/SIZE][/B]

[B][U]Barclays Premier League[/U][/B]

[B]20:00 |[/B] Wigan v Man City [B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]5L[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]SS1/HD[/COLOR][/B]

Code:
[B][SIZE=3]Tuesday, 17 January[/SIZE][/B]

[B][U]Npower League One[/U][/B] 

[B]19:45 |[/B] Tranmere v Rochdale

Code:
[B]TV:               Radio:                                        Tables:[/B]

[URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/5161070.stm][IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/vdiiwn.gif[/IMG][/URL]        [URL=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_five_live/][IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/20rs2z8.gif[/IMG][/URL]   [URL=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_five_live_sports_extra/][IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2rcwzo6.gif[/IMG][/URL]   [URL=http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/listen-live][IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/21ke43n.gif[/IMG][/URL]        [URL=http://www.skysports.com/football/leagues/0,19772,11065,00.html][IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/mrg3e1.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Soldato
Apparently Smalling, Jones and Anderson are all doubts for tomorrow (surprise surprise). Ferdinand tweeted the other night he was up all night with an illness (surprise surprise) but no mention of that from Fergie so one would assume he'll be okay. With all that in mind hope to see

---------------De Gea---------------
Rafael---Ferdinand---Evans---Evra
Valencia---Carrick---Giggs---Nani
---------------Rooney
------------------Welbeck

Subs: Lindegaard, Fryers, Pogba, Scholes, Park, Berbatov, Hernandez

Cant see De Gea starting though :(

Caporegime
Proper dullard game tomorrow. I'm hoping Duffy starts with Heitnga. Drenthe and Donovan on the wings please Moyes with Vellios up top. Gibson can start as well!

Soldato
Typical that we get QPR (a rubbish team) when they are getting a big team spirit lift again! :(

Last time it was when they had signed all the new players and now they have just got a new manager, will probably call it a draw now despite the fact we should be winning it.

Soldato
Wow - 43 matches on Saturday and only one non-3pm kick-off :eek:

Also, big respect to Jimmy Walker of Walsall who should break their appearance record this weekend - amazing achievement seeing as he spent 6 years away from the club (West Ham and Spurs fan may remember him :))

Soldato
With Barton, Taarabt and Traore missing we have a great chance to grab 3 points. Possibly our most important game so far this season if we want to be chasing Europe.

Last edited:
Associate
With Barton, Taarabt and Traore missing we have a great chance to grab 3 points. Possibly our most important game so far this season if we want to be chasing Europe.

Has Ba gone to the Africa Cup now? Be interesting to see how you cope goals wise with Best\Ameobi\Ameobi

Soldato
Has Ba gone to the Africa Cup now? Be interesting to see how you cope goals wise with Best\Ameobi\Ameobi
Never know with Best and Strolla though. Yes sir. He left last week before the Blackburn game. Sammi's out injured for a good few months too.

If he starts I can see Ben Arfa chipping in.

Also Tiote was sent off in a warm-up game earlier for throttling someone lol. Not sure if that translates into a ban for the Tournament though. Would be nice if he came back.

Soldato
If he starts I can see Ben Arfa chipping in.

I can imagine them playing 1 main striker now with Ben Arfa sitting just behind whoever it is. Best is back to his useless best (no pun intended) and Shola isn't prolific so at least Ben Arfa can open things up a little and make the unexpected happen.

Will be a tough few weeks though, we need to buy but thats a whole different story :p

Soldato
Will go with;

-----Dzeko---Aguero-------
Nasri--Barry--NDJ/Milner--Silva/Milner
Clichy-Lesc---Savic---Richards
-----------Hart--------------

Bench: Pantilimon, Zaba, Suarez, Kolarov, Silva, Balo and Razak

Caporegime
Will go with;

-----Dzeko---Aguero-------
Nasri--Barry--NDJ/Milner--Silva/Milner
Clichy-Lesc---Savic---Richards
-----------Hart--------------

Bench: Pantilimon, Zaba, Suarez, Kolarov, Silva, Balo and Razak

It's Wigan (I accept they've taken points off some good side's this season) but push the boat out a bit?

Could you not opt for a 4 3 3?

Maybe Dzeko flanked by Aguero and maybe Nasri?

Barry and De Jong holding in midfield and Silva / Milner supporting the forwards and Clichy (who I've not rated this season) and whomever you play on the right pushing forwards?

Could Zaba not play in the centre or at right back in place of Savic (or push Richards inside and Zabo on the right)

Caporegime
You do realise that in most situations 4-4-2 is a much more attacking set up than 4-3-3, because 4-3-3 is 98% of the time 4-5-1, and you're leaving a lone striker to be isolated rather than having a consistent forward two who aren't 30 yards away from the nearest player. Also City have been on and off pretty cack for over 5 weeks(since their last really convincing win), in all that time they've played a very isolated looking striker with a midfield that isn't supporting, isn't passing, isn't running forwards or attacking together and looking very disjointed. THe best thing they can do is give Aguero some real support, put on another real front man and let them play together.

Either way, I agree that Savi really shouldn't play, he's been abysmal for the past two games, as has Korolov, yeah he got a nice freekick, but when he came on in the next game he took a crap freekick, followed by a crap pass, followed by a stupidly awful cross. Korolov is crap 95% of the time, horrendously suspect defensively and he takes a lot of freekicks to score a couple goals, but in doing so puts in so many woeful crosses and is so crap down the left its not an even trade off.

Seriously though, should be a ridiculously high scoring Saturday, you've got Spurs, Utd, Pool and Chelsea playing, okay, Sunderland have had much improved results but haven't actually looked particularly different on the pitch, mostly attitude has changed but they still aren't a "great" team and frankly they are due for a bringing back down to earth spanking. The other three are playing Bolton, Stoke and Wolves.......... those could be 3 ridiculous games.

If Distin isn't fit then Everton could be in for a spanking, Norwich score a decent amount, especially against West Brom, but an Norwich away are likely to concede a few.

Even the games tomorrow, Newcastle vs QPR and Arsenal vs Swansea, one could be high scoring, one should be high scoring.

Soldato
Mancini should really play Richards in a central role and Zab on the right, i dont think Savic is there yet
Well he will never get there if hes not played, we cant lose a CB then push our best RB in there when we have a perfectly good CB. Richards will only go there if we lose another CB.
Either way, I agree that Savi really shouldn't play, he's been abysmal for the past two games, as has Korolov, yeah he got a nice freekick, but when he came on in the next game he took a crap freekick, followed by a crap pass, followed by a stupidly awful cross. Korolov is crap 95% of the time, horrendously suspect defensively and he takes a lot of freekicks to score a couple goals, but in doing so puts in so many woeful crosses and is so crap down the left its not an even trade off.
Abysmal is way over the top. He made one mistake in that Liverpool game and after that he was ok and the same against QPR.

Hence why i haven't put him in the team ;)

It's Wigan (I accept they've taken points off some good side's this season) but push the boat out a bit?

Could you not opt for a 4 3 3?

Maybe Dzeko flanked by Aguero and maybe Nasri?

Barry and De Jong holding in midfield and Silva / Milner supporting the forwards and Clichy (who I've not rated this season) and whomever you play on the right pushing forwards?

Could Zaba not play in the centre or at right back in place of Savic (or push Richards inside and Zabo on the right)
Well you say that but i would rather a solid 4-4-2 and get the win.
Dzeko up top is dreadful, Aguero and Nasri will be on the wings most of the time and this really doesn't work for Dzeko.
Well if Silva doesn't make it then he will play right wing so Barry and De Jong will be in the centre.

You haven't rated Clichy :eek: he has been a revelation. I suppose coming from our previous LB he will be though.

I must say that i am very surprised at the hate Savic gets, he has made a few mistakes but he is very young and playing in the Prem is a huge step up for him, it will take him time to adapt and with Kompany out he can get an extended run of games which will do him the world of good.

Back
Top Bottom