Grim Dawn - ARPG

Associate
I've been playing it a little recently as I was a bit burnt out with POE and the latest league never really grabbed me (despite the opinion that it's one of the best yet). I've not been playing vanilla though, I've been using the Dawn of Masteries mod and experimenting with all the new classes (There seem to be some very powerful combinations).

I've not got too far, mostly up to around level 40 with a few characters. I did make an autobomber like build that I was happy with though, literally don't have to press any buttons for the most part :D

Associate
Is anyone still playing this actively?

I bought this recently and am at lvl86 currently. I am a Shaman/Warrior (Warder I think they are called) and it seems decent. Drop a totem, splash of lightning, hit them if they come close to me, things die. Issue I am having sometimes though is some enemies loose 95% of their life really fast then it just crawls the next 5%. Pretty sure it is a buff they get perhaps, maybe the less life they have the more defence or something. Really annoying.

Not noticed that myself, but not playing warder atm, trying to level a paladin for the I am three build atm, when I go farming on my pet build I havent noticed it either, tho that one is pretty maxed out.

Soldato
I really don't get it myself. The monsters are mostly in ugdenbog and I think they are called spikeshells or something. Sometimes they just die but other times I find myself just spending ages on one just to kill them.

Associate
Might be a devotion activating, if you've got a %chance devotion ability tied to another %chance ability it won't proc too often and that might be why. When it does things die, when it doesn't things don't.

Soldato
Might be a devotion activating, if you've got a %chance devotion ability tied to another %chance ability it won't proc too often and that might be why. When it does things die, when it doesn't things don't.

I thought something similar but as it is only these enemies and no others it does not make sense. I can literally walk up to one of them knowing that most of the time it will take me longer to kill then others. I will try and capture this tonight if I play.

Associate
I really don't get it myself. The monsters are mostly in ugdenbog and I think they are called spikeshells or something. Sometimes they just die but other times I find myself just spending ages on one just to kill them.

Found the enemy on the Wiki, looks like they could be resistant to the kind of damage you are dealing, plus looks like they have a buff that takes effect at low health:

Ugdenbog Spikeshells

Resistances:
Pierce 25%
Cold 35%
Lightning 80%
Stun 33%
Knockdown 33%
Freeze 33%

Armor Up (Buff)
Activates at 35% Health
6 Second Duration
30 Second Skill Recharge
25/35% Physical Resistance
25/35% Elemental Resistance

Source

Soldato
Found the enemy on the Wiki, looks like they could be resistant to the kind of damage you are dealing, plus looks like they have a buff that takes effect at low health:

Ugdenbog Spikeshells

Resistances:
Pierce 25%
Cold 35%
Lightning 80%
Stun 33%
Knockdown 33%
Freeze 33%

Armor Up (Buff)
Activates at 35% Health
6 Second Duration
30 Second Skill Recharge
25/35% Physical Resistance
25/35% Elemental Resistance

Source

That makes sense now as I am mainly lightning with a little physical. Under 35percent I am probably only using physical.

Soldato
I was running a primal strike druid that was extremely fun with all the chain lightning damage. I had the same problem with those mobs above though. Not played for a while as I started season 20 on Diablo 3 a few months back.

My current build is primal strike with totems mainly for bosses. Most mobs it's just PS but bosses i use totems and other ranged lightning skills to keep distance.

Soldato
94 purifier now.

90% fire based, damage is insane especially when stationary.

Survivability is low, but it makes for much fun when the buffs run out. So you have 20 seconds of awesomeness followed by 5 seconds of Oooo eck.
I'm playing a 2-handed rifle based purifier. Almost all fire based but using the vines for crowd control which seems to work nicely.

The AoE damage is mental! :)

Soldato
Got to level 99 last night. Things are getting harder so I think I need to look at my build. I changed from totems to wind devils for the cold debuff they can apply but I am unsure it's working as I want.

Although I did kill my first nemesis last night which was nice. I am almost at the necropolis again so hoping to hit 100 before then so the rest of the game and expansions I know I am just after loot and do not need to worry about loosing XP from deaths.

Must admit it has really kept my attention unlike other ARPGs of late. I have played a lot of TL2 as I love the art style but I cannot get into PoE or D3 anymore.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yet more free content coming...This really is the game that keeps on giving.

CRATE must be one of the best PC gaming DEVS going.

This game with all its expansions is a utter steal, Top 5 game of all time is an easy for me.

Associate
OP
I gave this a go, but couldn't see how to save. I was probably being a total newb but I gave up in frustration. It's getting some great feedback here, I think I'll need to give it another go.

I don’t know if there’s a specific name for it but the game auto-saves all the time so no progress is lost. :)

Soldato
I don’t know if there’s a specific name for it but the game auto-saves all the time so no progress is lost. :)

Yea, I had read that at the time but I had seemed to progress quite far in the opening level, I had gotten to the cave thing you were meant to get to. Twice killed, twice I had to go back to the start and repeat it all.

I rage quit at that point. :p

Associate
OP
Yea, I had read that at the time but I had seemed to progress quite far in the opening level, I had gotten to the cave thing you were meant to get to. Twice killed, twice I had to go back to the start and repeat it all.

I rage quit at that point. :p

Just keep trying I guess, you’ll get good eventually. :p

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Ok it saves your progress in your current session, so clear all the mobs from A to B to C if you die you end up back at a hub, so you can fast travel back if you dropped a teleport or you run back, but no mobs. It will auto save transport places you discovered.

However if you exit that session and go back to that character all mobs will be back but map locations and map %, are remembered including fixed teleport positions. If you found any of course.

Back
Top Bottom