Gross vs Net pay when arguing for salary increase.

Permabanned
Just after some opinions

When determining if you are due a salary increment, is it acceptable to use net pay as opposed to gross pay. Assuming your pay is broadly the same and you haven't changed tax codes, no additional salary sacrifice etc.

Reason I ask is if I inflation adjust my gross pay over the past 3 years it may have gone up by 1%, but if I inflation adjust my net pay it has gone down by 1% (numbers entirely made up but hopefully you get the idea).

Given my job is quite dependent on experience, I think being worse off in terms of actual take home (net) is grounds for a salary increment, even if I may have seen a small increase in gross (both inflation adjusted).

Soldato
I doubt it as everyone has different deductions from their salary whether it be salary sacrifice, taxable benefits, pension contributions, student loan etc. therefore most businesses won’t care about your net pay and I would imagine won’t base any negotiations on it due to the variables.

Caporegime
You generally ask re: gross pay as above. Probs better to cite more than just inflation when arguing for a pay rise, no reason why you should restrict your ask to gross pay + inflation... if you want more then ask for more and give better justification for it - like performance over the past year, goals achieved, times where you've gone above and beyond in your role, current market rates, increased experience or new skills you can now bring to the table etc..

Associate
You generally ask re: gross pay as above. Probs better to cite more than just inflation when arguing for a pay rise, no reason why you should restrict your ask to gross pay + inflation... if you want more then ask for more and give better justification for it - like performance over the past year, goals achieved, times where you've gone above and beyond in your role, current market rates, increased experience or new skills you can now bring to the table etc..

Exactly this. They won't have any real interest in negotiating based on net/gross pay. Justifying your value will give you a far better chance.

Permabanned
OP
You generally ask re: gross pay as above. .

But why? Can you understand that you may have had an averaged gross that is above inflation % but your net is below? The argument will be that your gross salary has increased as a % that is above inflation -i.e. you have technically increased your inflation adjusted salary... But when you crunch the numbers and work out your take home pay it has fallen from what you used to earn 3 years ago in real terms.

Do you get my point?

Permabanned
OP
I doubt it as everyone has different deductions from their salary whether it be salary sacrifice, taxable benefits, pension contributions, student loan etc. therefore most businesses won’t care about your net pay and I would imagine won’t base any negotiations on it due to the variables.

I specifically said in my OP to ignore these variables.

Soldato
I specifically said in my OP to ignore these variables.

Salty. Ok lets put it a different way, your company won’t care about your attempt to negotiate a pay rise based on inflation factors only and will most likely tell you to jog on.

Either come up with a better approach such as comparing your salary against the going market rate for your role (remember that’s gross salary old chap, due to the variables ;)) or as stated above, base your approach on how your value to the company has increased since your last review, for instance due to you gaining new skills and/or more experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
But why? Can you understand that you may have had an averaged gross that is above inflation % but your net is below? The argument will be that your gross salary has increased as a % that is above inflation -i.e. you have technically increased your inflation adjusted salary... But when you crunch the numbers and work out your take home pay it has fallen from what you used to earn 3 years ago in real terms.

Do you get my point?

I get your point about gross vs. net and inflation. The point is, inflation is irrelevant to your employer and they don't care.

They pay you what they believe your market value is, if you want this to increase you need to make a case that your market value is higher. Your employer sees your market value by a combination of three factors:
  1. What they believe you'll be able to get elsewhere
  2. What they believe they have to spend on a replacement for your role
  3. What they're willing to pay to keep you if you were to get an offer elsewhere
Inflation is not part of the equation and you should not go into the negotiations making a case about pre and post tax inflation.

You need to focus on how your productivity has increased compared to three years ago, and how you're adding a lot more value to your employer versus three years ago, and argue that your compensation needs to reflect that.

Man of Honour
No it's not acceptable - you can't just say "ignore these variables" because they impact what your cost to the employer is.

Imagine the flipside, the government announces a tax cut, would you be happy if your employer says "ahah your net pay has now gone up, so we are not increasing your gross pay for the next few years as your net pay is still going up by more than inflation"

Soldato
No it's not acceptable - you can't just say "ignore these variables" because they impact what your cost to the employer is.

Imagine the flipside, the government announces a tax cut, would you be happy if your employer says "ahah your net pay has now gone up, so we are not increasing your gross pay for the next few years as your net pay is still going up by more than inflation"

To be fair companies absolutely, 100%, take that into account. If taxes go down, they will absolutely try to avoid giving raises to save on their salary costs, saying that tax cuts were effective raises. If taxes go up, well, that's the government and not the employer's fault :D

Caporegime

Do you get my point?

I don't think there is much of a point - don't use inflation as an argument for a salary increase in the first place tbh... The impact of this varies considerably, more of an impact higher up where you're enter say the 50k or 100k brackets, remember though these brackets get adjusted upwards too - the 50k bracket used to be more like 40k at one point etc..

The point is though that tax policy isn't an argument for a pay rise in the first place - like when people lost the tax free amount past 100k that wasn't an argument for a pay rise double the usual size etc.. your pay negotiation is based on what the employer is paying you - do you expect to give some salary back or take a pay cut if a government changes tax brackets and takes you less? There was a 50% tax rate at some point... the brief trap at 100k might be undone by a conservative chancellor (it's quite blatantly unfair but the public perception wouldn't be great if/when it happens).

Your argument for a pay rise should be based on something more tangible like what you've contributed etc.. and really you ought to be aiming for more than inflation else you're not really making any progress.

Soldato
Just after some opinions

When determining if you are due a salary increment, is it acceptable to use net pay as opposed to gross pay. Assuming your pay is broadly the same and you haven't changed tax codes, no additional salary sacrifice etc.

This is nice and simple : no.

Any time you are trying to negotiate your salary based on anything but your value to the employer, you're just ****ing in the wind imo. I wouldn't entertain anyone coming to me with that as a line as to why they deserve a rise.

It stinks of laziness and entitlement.

Back
Top Bottom