Growing Chillies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Well after following this thread for ages our chillis at work are doing well.

About 40 plants in all, big ones are Jalapeno, then some Scotch Bonnets and Cayennes (these seem really hard to grow). All done from seed using PC method and about 8-10 weeks since seeds were sown.

This is window ledge in our industrial unit, have a oil radiator constantly pumping warm air up under blind so it gets nice and toasty. Also put water in trays to keep it humid

It's our data center / garden center now lol... window is about 20ft from a microwave antenna, not sure how that effects them :D

edit: excuse the OCD layout of plant pots, my work mate is abit like that ;)

chillis.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
:cool: :D

Mine are destined to get the chop tomorrow - I need to get a couple of pot water saucer thingies then I'll sit them on the window. Going to see if they survive the winter without the HiD.

Soldato
i have binned all my chillie plants last week, after months of battling with green fly i decided to give up, when i get some spare cash im going to buy a little green house and try again.

Associate
My keepers will be coming back from the greenhouse tomorrow as night time temperatures will drop beginning Sunday night. I still have a fair bit of fruit to harvest so I may not cut them back immediately.

Associate
I started getting red chillies a few weeks back and the other day i had 1 full red chilli on each plant. I picked one for a stirfry the other day and already another chilli has went from green to red. Just wondering if a chilli plant will wait for 1 chilli to go fully red before starting on another.....just seemed a little wierd to me as i have never seen this in any other fruiting plants before.

Soldato
One of my Nagas in particular is growing really well at the moment, it's flowering at the moment and only 2 of them are flowered but a further 15-20 buds there I can hopefully get a good amount of fruit from. They are still on my window sill at the moment and seems the already fairly large plants are doing well but the seedlings I have are a lot slower to grow now it's colder, it seems.

For some reason I was much more excited when I saw my nagas flowering! I need to get out more...

Soldato
I started getting red chillies a few weeks back and the other day i had 1 full red chilli on each plant. I picked one for a stirfry the other day and already another chilli has went from green to red. Just wondering if a chilli plant will wait for 1 chilli to go fully red before starting on another.....just seemed a little wierd to me as i have never seen this in any other fruiting plants before.

On mine I found that the most developed fruit would ripen the quickest, so whichever started to grow first would go red first. Normally anyway.

Soldato
OP
Hehe that plant is looking awesome.
Unfortunately, my plants are now sat on the windowsill after being cut back for over wintering. No more than a stump with a few leaves on.

Soldato
OP
Quicklink - that's dropping flowers. It's extremely annoying and if you read this thread I had the same problem for many months until I increased the watering frequency and start using Chilli focus more often. Temperature and the amount of light can also play a part.
Once you see the flowers remaining on the plant longer then you'll know you're going the right way. It's annoying because mine would flower but not mature enough to create pollen before dropping off (at the base of the flower stem is the normal point).

Permabanned
My mum grows chillies, oregano, and garlic. Fresh green garlic leaves are the best =D

She somehow managed to grow a pineapple indoors a long long time ago, no idea how, everyone says that is impossible, but she went ahead and grew a pineapple lol.

If I had a plant it wouldnt even last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom