Growing Chillies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Krooton I think what you are seeing is normal winter die-back due to the shortening of daylight hours.

I cut mine back to 1 to 2 inches above the soil, others prefer to leave a longer stem. Some also trim the root ball but I don't bother. Most of my over-wintering plants are showing new growth.

When I had a problem with flies I just had a spray around with ordinary household fly spray and it killed the little buggers.

I just had another delivery of seeds, most notably a couple of varieties of 7-pot, Dorset Naga and Trinidad Scorpion. I already have 35 babies on the window sill so these will have to wait until I have more room or will be started later in the greenhouse.

Soldato
I got an influx of chilli things for Xmas, bless the mother. So ordered another few lots of seeds as well. Mine are still going OK but one I cut back to stalk is a goner. It was a Naga and the stalk has just dried right up. Not got any fruit from the naga's yet but they're a good size. I just cant get the heat and light in to them over the winter but one of them keeps flowering like mad, it just is the same one that seems to produce the little blighter flies as well.

I've just repotted a couple of my birds eyes that are now about 6" big and going well. I'm still getting good fruit from one of my small, kind of window sill shrub chilli plant (nice description I know!) as well as the other that produces really small firey chillies which are nice and fruity.

Hopefully the naga will come in to it's own when it warms up a bit and the sun comes out more. I can't wait for my others to arrive and the light to get better. Trouble is I've run out of space in my room. Not sure where else to try them! ha

Soldato
what have you done with your chilli plants over the winter?

i started growing some last summer. i got a few green chillies and that was fine. winter then set in and i've been keeping them watered. they are still alive but not producing anything (look a little worse for wear)

if i just keep them watered will they start to flower again come the warmer weather?

Soldato
Forgot about this thread.

I sowed some seeds early February and they are growing nicely. I've two Fuego (Italian) plants, two Mexiquin (Mexican) plants and two Ring of Fire (cayenne) plants growing.

Soldato
What else are you growing?

I've got lots of herb seeds to do this year and most need sowing in spring, same with the tomatoes. Mid March is probably ideal for most things.

Soldato
Carrots, spring onions, onions, potatoes, chillies, rhubarb, lettuce, toms, beetroot, beans and gooseberries probably. I think some nice smelling herbs too like spearmint to make the area smell nice.

Just phoned up gentoo to ask permission to use the garden behind me (block of 4 ppl flat unit). They said had to write to someone so got email for it and sent it just now. Hope they let me use some of the area out the back.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Weird, the 3 plants that fruited are still all withered, but the other 3 of the same variety are still alive (one has started to outgrow the other immensely.

My jalapenos are all still fine though, 3 fruits at the moment, but they aren't developing due to lack of sunlight.

Might just keep em going all through to summer again, hehe.

Permabanned
i grew some tomatoes out door last summer, i had about 5 plants, we harvested about 20 tomatoes but i was living with these spanish girls. i had one tomatoe and they went and used every single on in one meal. i said they could have some. i was killed.

i know this is about chillis. i grew chillis in south africa, but i have never grown them here, hopefully grow some this summer. tomatoes as well.

Soldato
i grew some tomatoes out door last summer, i had about 5 plants, we harvested about 20 tomatoes but i was living with these spanish girls. i had one tomatoe and they went and used every single on in one meal. i said they could have some. i was killed.

i know this is about chillis. i grew chillis in south africa, but i have never grown them here, hopefully grow some this summer. tomatoes as well.

Question is were the ladys hot and did they make it worth your while :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom