1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSkill Falcon Noisy

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by zom247, 4 Mar 2010.

1. zom247

Mobster

My GSkill 128 GB Falcon SSD is noisy as hell. It's whiring away like an old HDD. Does this mean it's on it's way out? Only had it 6 months so a bit annoyed if it is.

2. zom247

Mobster

It just sounds like it's being accessed non-stop at the moment. Checked resource monitor and nothing showing there so no idea what it is. Anyone else had this problem with a GSkill Falon SSD? Looks like it's going back on Monday.

3. zom247

Mobster

Well, feel such a (insert appropriate swear word here)! Unplugged all drives etc and powered on one at a time to see if I could hear where the noise was coming from. After about 10 mins I thought it sounded like it was coming from my front bottom fan on my Antec 1200 case. Checked that no cables etc were hitting the fan and all clear. Removed the fust filter and.....SILENCE. When I checked the filter there is a sliver of plastic hanging off that must have been hitting the fan. What really threw me was the hard drive led was always on when it was noisy and it's only just happened tonight.

How can I close this thread? Can't see anything in the thread tools options.

4. VortX

Wise Guy

Isn't the falcon an SSD? In which case it can't actually make a noise :confused:

5. zom247

Mobster

That's was bugged me cos the noise was exaclty like a hard drive being accessed and I had no other drives attached. When I looked on the web I came across quite a few posts about the drives unreliability so I thought it had buggered up.

You gotta laugh :D

6. MikeHunt79

Capodecina

Yep, an SSD isn't really a hard drive, it's actually memory, no moving parts, no noise, you could even go as far as to say SSD related posts would be more suited to the memory section. ;)

7. PoiNt54

Gangster

No moving parts to make a noise?? Spooky. Anyway, you could try updating to the latest firmware (1916). It's finally out!!

8. Leezy

Hitman

I would of ruled out the Falcon straight away being an SSD first thing I would of checked would be fans

Last edited: 5 Mar 2010
  9. nightwish

Hitman

@Leezy - Read the thread...