GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
I might be doing a long motorway trip this weekend (100 miles or so). If I do, I'll try and remember to reset the trip computer and see what I average. My car is modified now, but I dont think economy was affected much, so it give you a rough idea what can be achieved.

Soldato
The autos have longer gears so will cruise a bit better. I used to get 36mpg in my manual for an A road commute, but if I have no traffic or if Milton Keynes is involved that can easily drop to 32. High 30's should be fairly easy on an A/Motorway commute.

Caporegime
I don't get it. You want to not use your fast, good handling car for work duties and intend instead to use a slow good handling car for work duties. Why not just get something nice, comfortable and economic to go alongside the fun?

Soldato
I would only be interested in the manuals.

I don't get it. You want to not use your fast, good handling car for work duties and intend instead to use a slow good handling car for work duties. Why not just get something nice, comfortable and economic to go alongside the fun?

I'm not really interested in spending my money on the "nice, comfortable" cars.

The STi is "my precious" and so I really don't want to use that for work duties at all, but maybe occasionally take it to the office like I do now. I've done 20k miles in my 407 diesel this year, and frankly I'd happily do 20k more in it next year too.
I have no need for more comfort or toys, but what I would like to do is own some different cars that are reasonable fun, nice to look at and are reasonable to buy and reasonable to run, and I definitely don't want something the same size as the 407 or bigger. So the BRZ seems to fit that bill nicely, plus has some scope for light modifications which brings something else from the ownership side of things.

It's just an idea at the moment :)

Soldato
You'll have more fun in the BRZ though. The STI is about high speed and lots of grip which is hard to use on the road. The BRZ is the opposite (in stock setup anyway) :D

Soldato
Why thank you :D

Reset the trip computer before I set off this morning. On a dual carriageway from within a mile of my house and checked as I came off at the other end so as not to include urban mileage....averaged 40.6MPG over 86.2 miles. That was using cruise control nearly all the way at 70MPH (GPS), with the odd squirt to pass a lorry and only 2 major intersections where I had to stop at lights. I reckon I could probably eke out a bit more efficiency not using cruise control.

As I said, mines modified, but I don't think a stock car would be any worse. Hope it helps :)

Soldato
Could somebody find me some info on the battery draining problem?

Just spent 7 days in intensive care and my car wouldn't open or start. Toyota rescue came out within 90mins which was great, but I'm facing a lot of time in hospital this year and cannot risk this happening again.

I don't have the brain power at the moment to find it myself. I just want to call the dealership and get them to sort it, and want to make sure they don't wriggle out.

Thanks!!

Soldato
If you a vampire drain you'll have to sort that.

But first I'd check is battery health, and alternator health. If they are not 100% it won't retain charge for long when idle, especially in the cold.
We went through a phases of only driving at the weekends and lots of jump starts as a result. Especially in winter. Replaced the batteries with upgraded units, serviced alternator etc. Solved it for us.

Considering parking fees etc, would it not easier to get a taxi or someone to drive you.

Soldato
Best getting a jump pack for the car. I've got a monitor on my 4th battery and after the initial voltage drop off when stopping it just keeps going at a steady rate. I used to plug it in to charge when at my old place but now rely on a jump pack if I've not used it for 3 weeks or if I've left a light on.

Edit: since getting a ctek charger and using that a few times overnight the drop on my battery has improved according to my battery monitor which is on the car 24/7. Only used the jump pack when I left inside light on for 3 days.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you a vampire drain you'll have to sort that.

But first I'd check is battery health, and alternator health. If they are not 100% it won't retain charge for long when idle, especially in the cold.
We went through a phases of only driving at the weekends and lots of jump starts as a result. Especially in winter. Replaced the batteries with upgraded units, serviced alternator etc. Solved it for us.

Considering parking fees etc, would it not easier to get a taxi or someone to drive you.

It's a known fault on the car, but they normally just change the battery and not fix the reason for the drain.

I live around 45 miles from the hospital, so drive to my mother's 25 miles away the night before and get a lift from there. There's no parking at Royal London Hospital.

And asking my 70 year old mother to spin a gt86 around the block every couple of days although hilarious isn't a realistic option.

Best getting a jump pack for the car. I've got a monitor on my 4th battery and after the initial voltage drop off when stopping it just keeps going at a steady rate. I used to plug it in to charge when at my old place but now rely on a jump pack if I've not used it for 3 weeks or if I've left a light on.

Edit: since getting a ctek charger and using that a few times overnight the drop on my battery has improved according to my battery monitor which is on the car 24/7. Only used the jump pack when I left inside light on for 3 days.

Did you ever discover a reason for the drain? Maybe the keyless entry is to blame?

Soldato
Keyless entry I think. Some other keyless cars do it too, but the gt86 comes with a small battery as standard. The car is constantly looking for the key which is a constant drain :/

Soldato
Keyless entry I think. Some other keyless cars do it too, but the gt86 comes with a small battery as standard. The car is constantly looking for the key which is a constant drain :/

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what's happened. One of the conditions of me buying the car, was that they replace the battery that wouldn't start on the test-drive. It's taken 18 months to give in. I'm gonna give Steven Eagell a call tomorrow and get them to do something.

Soldato
Could somebody find me some info on the battery draining problem?

Just spent 7 days in intensive care and my car wouldn't open or start. Toyota rescue came out within 90mins which was great, but I'm facing a lot of time in hospital this year and cannot risk this happening again.

I don't have the brain power at the moment to find it myself. I just want to call the dealership and get them to sort it, and want to make sure they don't wriggle out.

Thanks!!

I had that dying battery issue, despite it having been tested as ok both times it wouldn't start. Just bought a new uprated battery myself, which has resolved the issue.

Underboss
Dropped my 13 plate off for the recall, got sent away with this:

2019gt86_rec02.jpg

Quite like it, reminds me of mine when it was new. Justified some the mods I've done too.

Dealer didn't order the parts for the recall though so getting my car back untouched.

my Friend has one just like this !
it looks amazing in the flesh !
i love it :)

Soldato
So it's coming up to a year since the engine recall was done. And its time for the next service. I guess it will a basic one as the last was so thorough?

BTW.. When the roads were empty I had to do a few journeys on the empty b roads. It was probably the best driving experience I've had for 20+ years.

Back
Top Bottom