GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
My drivers side rear bearing is making noise, I'm on just over 81k miles. No need to replace in pairs. I bought a genuine bearing and axle nut for 105 quid inc. delivery from importcarparts.com. Its only a couple of quid more from a dealer, so not horrendously expensive.

I tried to change the bearing on Saturday, but failed. There's only four bolts and the axle nut holding the bearing in place, so it should be straightforward. However mine is completely seized in, so I couldn't get it out. Ordered a slide hammer which should arrive tomorrow I hope, and then fingers crossed I can get it off :(

Ah good luck with it. How long do you think it will take you to replace it?

Also could you post a link or part number for the bearings please?

Soldato
Ah good luck with it. How long do you think it will take you to replace it?

Also could you post a link or part number for the bearings please?

I don't know. The procedure to remove it is very straightforward. However, if the bearing is stuck, it will take some brute force to remove it. My new slide hammer turned up today, but the adapter doesn't fit the studs on the bearing, so I'm going to return it and have purchased a different tool instead... https://youtu.be/09Zz4JLC0zM

Bearing: https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/pa...=3577&var=39&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

Axle nut (some say you don't necessarily need to replace this, but they are cheap and your old one might be in a bit of a state once removed): https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/pa...=3577&var=39&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

Soldato
Just finished this job. My advice, get someone else to do it.

I think I started about 1PM and have been at it most of the afternoon. Removing the bearing wasn't actually the difficult bit...the tool I ordered above turned up while I was working. Attached it to the hub, gave it maybe 10 thumps with a sledgehammer and the assembly came out of the knuckle. Awesome. But, the brake backing plate holding the handbrake fits around the assembly and is clamped between the bearing and the knuckle. In most videos I've watched, it's simply a case of holding the backing plate and giving the bearing a whack with a hammer and it falls apart. However mine was jammed solid... I ended up resorting to heat, liberal amounts of Plusgas, and repeated hammering with a club hammer it came away eventually.

However, I'd also had to disassemble the handbrake to get the backing plate off the car. Reassembling this was a nightmare of springs which need three hands and the patience of a saint to put back together. I managed, and I'm not sure I've done it right, but it still holds the car fine, so **** it :/

So yeah. Take it to a garage.

Soldato
Just finished this job. My advice, get someone else to do it.

I think I started about 1PM and have been at it most of the afternoon. Removing the bearing wasn't actually the difficult bit...the tool I ordered above turned up while I was working. Attached it to the hub, gave it maybe 10 thumps with a sledgehammer and the assembly came out of the knuckle. Awesome. But, the brake backing plate holding the handbrake fits around the assembly and is clamped between the bearing and the knuckle. In most videos I've watched, it's simply a case of holding the backing plate and giving the bearing a whack with a hammer and it falls apart. However mine was jammed solid... I ended up resorting to heat, liberal amounts of Plusgas, and repeated hammering with a club hammer it came away eventually.

However, I'd also had to disassemble the handbrake to get the backing plate off the car. Reassembling this was a nightmare of springs which need three hands and the patience of a saint to put back together. I managed, and I'm not sure I've done it right, but it still holds the car fine, so **** it :/

So yeah. Take it to a garage.
Excellent advice, thanks.

Out of curiosity I went to my local garage to ask for a quote. They quoted me £180+VAT parts only! But only 1hr labour at £65ph+VAT. So I think I'll order the parts myself and even if they take 2 hrs, it'll be cheaper.

Was the axle nut needed after all?

Just seen your post on GT86 forums - looks like 1hr labour is about right then.

Soldato
Excellent advice, thanks.

Out of curiosity I went to my local garage to ask for a quote. They quoted me £180+VAT parts only! But only 1hr labour at £65ph+VAT. So I think I'll order the parts myself and even if they take 2 hrs, it'll be cheaper.

Was the axle nut needed after all?

Just seen your post on GT86 forums - looks like 1hr labour is about right then.

Yeah for a garage who knows what they're doing and has all the tools, it probably won't take long at all. Also a lot of my time is spent jacking up and securing the car, which is obviously a few seconds work with a proper lift.

My axle nut looked quite heavily corroded. It was probably fine to reuse, but as it needs to be staked with a hammer to secure it once torqued, and seeing as it's securing the driveshaft to the hubx for the sake of a few quid I would just replace it.

Soldato
Yep, the main and only thread.

I had my discs, brakes and that wheel bearing hub replaced on Thursday. 3h labour total.

Sadly, they knocked one of my ABS sensors in the process but assured me they had a replacement or order, which they'd replace this week for me. My ABS, traction control and engine management lights are on. I also can't rev beyond 4k. Can I assume this is all normal and replacing the sensor will get things back to normal?

Associate
OP
I feel that majority of mods regardless of power or handling on these are fairly expensive which was my gripe about ownership.

Catless headers can cost £6-700 alone, as with a catback exhaust

Soldato
Yea I dont know why they are so expensive. Plus you need to put a few £100 on top of that for a tune (and to disable the CEL for the missing cat) :\

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a shame. What will you get instead?

Not completely sure, gonna have to do some test drives. I’m a dialysis patient and get a lot of pain in the body, bending in to get in the GT now is destroying me lol.

Enquired about an Alfa Giulleta, but they have only offered me 11k for mine, so I need to do some sums.

Soldato
I'd say hold out if possible.

I jumped into buying my S3 too quick and sold my 40k GT86 for £9250 in part-ex after buying it at 27k for £14k. Was a regretful loss

Yeah I had been offered 10k by webuyanycar, so knew that was the base price, thought maybe in these times dealers would be up for a deal!
The Alfa is up for 13k, they’re offering 11k for mine. Told them we’re close but I would like either the asking price to come down a little, or the part ex amount to raise a little. Think that’s fair tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
There was a while when they were holding their value quite well as used demand was high but not many new ones were being sold. I'm seeing a lot more around now though.

Soldato
Blimey I thought they were holding their value well above 10k.

Or at least I hoped my 2012 63k would get me 10k but sounds like not anymore than 9k!
I'm eyeing up 2016+ 430i LCI in a year or two when they drop to around 18k.

Back
Top Bottom