GTA IV improved?

Soldato
Do you think this would be playable on a lappy with one of the new mobile i7s'(lower clocked @1.73ghz but still quad core) and a gf 280m?

Wondering whether i should rebuy it to pass the time over xmas, my xbox now has the 3 rings of death

Soldato
You do realise you've won the award for the thickest poster of the day...

My rig is worth way less than 1k and it plays GTA IV better than an xbox 360 at higher settings.

He also forgot the £800 or so you got to pay for a decent tv to play it on and even then it looks crap compared....i've compared my bro's xbox360 version on a very good Panasonic 42 inch with my i7 rig's version and it's ridiculous the difference.(same with Resident Evil 5, COD 4, Assassin's Creed, Fallout 3....i am using a HP LP2475w too so it's a good comparison.)

I am playing GTA 4 at 1920x1200, 3 things on high, one highest and other very high with sliders at 42/50/100/16 on an i7 920 with a gtx275 very well.

First time i play through this one at the moment and i am liking it as much as Vice City.

Soldato
Anyone know if the multiplayer has been fixed yet?

Last time I was playing you had kids spawning huge tugboats on race courses, blocking the road and lagging people out.

Soldato
gta IV on the 360 looks like a painting thats been left out in the rain and runs like a 12 tonne mini metro!:D

Harsh but true. :)

i've compared my bro's xbox360 version on a very good Panasonic 42 inch with my i7 rig's version and it's ridiculous the difference.(same with Resident Evil 5, COD 4, Assassin's Creed, Fallout 3....i am using a HP LP2475w too so it's a good comparison.).

Similar here, I own a 360 and unless your visually impaired or suffering from console fan boy syndrome, the difference in quality is obvious.

Last edited:
Associate
Obviously it runs better on a semi-decent PC, but the Xbox version is far from unplayable, especially if it is installed to the hard drive and not played from the disc.

Soldato
Played perfectly fine and looked decent enough when I played it on my 360...:confused:

notice the ''in comparison bit'' :).

30 fps with drops to below 20 is not playable compared to 45 ish fps with drops to 30...

I found it terrible and frustrating to play on both the 360 and ps3 due to the framerate and stutters.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That'd be cool, what graphics card you got?

GTX280. I found it impossible to get good performance no matter what settings I used on the C2D, the benchmark score might have looked vaguely ok at ~44fps, but the actual game min fps was around half that.

View Distance and Detail distance were the only settings I found to be cpu dependent really, dropping both 1 gave me a fair boost.

Soldato
i love the way a £130 console can play something your £2k rigs cant even manage...

LOL - CHUMPS

What a fool you are mate.. seriously!

I had a go of GTAIV on my mates 360, and I personally thought the graphics were terrible compared to how it looks on my PC..

The only thing that bothers me about the PC version is the lack of AA, and those pixelated shadows, I think most PC users that have this game feel the same way though..

Soldato
I found a post by you on another forum, and I got the ENB mod from the megaupload link you provided, it's working, and it looks loads better, but I have 2 problems with it, 1st thing is, I have got no radar at all, and when I take my phone out, it is far to small to read anything on the screen!!

If only these 2 things could be fixed this mod would make the game so much better.

I've tried playing around with the .ini file to see if I can get the radar and phone working, but I haven't had any luck so far.. :(

I don't suppose you know how to fix this?

Thanks again.

P.S. to anyone who wants AA in GTAIV you should try out this mod, it makes it look awesome!

Associate
I found a post by you on another forum, and I got the ENB mod from the megaupload link you provided, it's working, and it looks loads better, but I have 2 problems with it, 1st thing is, I have got no radar at all, and when I take my phone out, it is far to small to read anything on the screen!!

If only these 2 things could be fixed this mod would make the game so much better.

I've tried playing around with the .ini file to see if I can get the radar and phone working, but I haven't had any luck so far.. :(

I don't suppose you know how to fix this?

Thanks again.

P.S. to anyone who wants AA in GTAIV you should try out this mod, it makes it look awesome!

No radar? That sounds odd, I don't have this problem. Do you also use other mods? Maybe there is a conflict of sorts.

Associate
Put simply, if youve got the PC for it, PC, if not, 360. The PC version does have some awesome benefits (graphics, aiming, video editor) but unless youve got a decent proccesor and a modern graphics card with 512 VRAM, there isnt much of a reason to pick it above the 360 version (unless of course, you dont have a 360 :)).

It was a bit dodgy at release, but theyve continued to patch it up and its pretty damn fine now (theres expected to be another patch soon). You also have loads of nifty car mods coming out, along with the ENB mod.

Soldato
GTX280. I found it impossible to get good performance no matter what settings I used on the C2D, the benchmark score might have looked vaguely ok at ~44fps, but the actual game min fps was around half that.

View Distance and Detail distance were the only settings I found to be cpu dependent really, dropping both 1 gave me a fair boost.

I was never too happy with GTA 4 on my system. It wasn't too bad at 1680x1050 but since I had a 1920x1200 monitor it would never run right. Mainly down the the dual-core. Someone bought me GTA 4 as a present on the PS3. It doesn't look as good, infact it's the biggest difference in a console-PC game that I have seen first hand. But taking into consideration that the PC version is far from perfect, the PS3 version still looks good. For some reason it annoys me playing the PC version but the PS3 version I just accept it how it is and play/enjoy the game.

Back
Top Bottom