GTA IV improved?

Soldato
Anyone know if the multiplayer has been fixed yet?

Last time I was playing you had kids spawning huge tugboats on race courses, blocking the road and lagging people out.
Nope MP is still broken which is why I gave up on it as the kids rage quit everytime you beat them ! then some try and crash the servers or use other devious mods. All made possible by a russian cracker who created a dll to bypass the security checks MS put into GFWL to prevent these mods from running :(

Soldato
Well, I'm upgrading from an E6750 to a Q6600 in the next day or so, I hope to see a significant improvement in performance now my GFX isn't so choked by the struggling CPU.

I used to play with an E6750 stock and 8800GTS 320MB. Game was playable at 30FPS on lowish settings (med textures), though often dipped to 17FPS when things got busy, but mostly OK.

I then upgraded the 8800 to a GTX280. Now it's about the same performance, but with the graphics quality turned up - that is, textures to high, filtering on very high, though any changes in view distance and car densities and it struggles still.

I managed to get my E6750 to 3.6GHz for a short game and bench, and it played buttery smooth on higher settings, so I'd found the bottleneck for sure. Unfortunately the E6750 and my board wouldn't go beyond 3GHz rock solid stable, and I didn't have much time to mess around trying to improve it.

Now going to a Q6600, I hope to see a leap in performance like the OC did. With any luck the quad will also manage 3.6, but this time stable with a bit less fuss. The VID is significantly lower than the E6750's.

I'll update this thread with results.

PS: Multiplayer sucks! If only you could have decent servers with no cheating. Twas OK at first but now it's silly!

Soldato
OP
Yep, blame kiddies spawning Tugs all over the place for that one. Multiplayer was great for about the first 3 months of release, there after a fair number of online hax started to turn up. :(

There are still a fair few Team Deathmatch servers some quite busy, but yea I was getting killed by a hacker :(, it's a shame it's pretty fun online tho.

Associate
Yeah it is fun online thats the reason I bought it becuase I had so much fun on PS3 and I knew PC will be dramatically better (graphics) while playin on high resolution. :(

Soldato
To be honest, i never really encountered any part of the game that wasnt playable with my old system (q6600 stock, 4gb and 4870 stock). This was also with no patches applied. Granted 1680x1050 isnt the greatest resolution, its still fairly large.

Even when i overclocked cpu to 3.4, it didnt really make a whole load of difference, just would eliminate a few stutters and pauses that used to occur when suddenly changing direction etc, but nothing that took away the fun of the game.

Now i have a Q9550 at 4ghz, and 8gb ram and overclocked 4870, and all the patches, it is absolutely smooth and runs perfectly. I havent had a single stutter or anything, and this is with 90% max settings. Frame rate doesnt matter to me, as long as it feels silky smooth and keeps constant, which is does. :)

But in all honesty, a decent gpu (4850+), 4gb and a quad and your all set. Just be sure to get updates as it does improve performance quite substantially.

Associate
i played GTA 4 on my old TINY pc. Pentium 4, 3.5gig ram, xp professional sapphire radeon 9250.

[lie] Worked like a dream [/lie]

I got a stopwatch out and timed it to load, from startup to main screen, 4minutes 38 seconds.
From start new game to first cinematic 7minutes dead. Thats everything on low, all draw distances etc all set to 0, resolution 800x600

Soldato
GTAIV patch 1.0.0.5 released, online hacking cleared up for now, and hosts able to user kick is very handy :cool: If you have update trouble then a fresh instal with patch 1.0.0.5 seems to work.

Version 1.0.0.5 – November 10, 2009
GENERAL:

* Convert all region SKU's into the same SKU.
* Include support for all languages within single exe.

CONTROLS:

* Allow controls to be double mapped on keyboard.
* Added option in controls menu to disable mouse controls in helicopters.
* Adjust keyboard control sensitivity in hood cam view in vehicles.

MULTIPLAYER:

* Security Updates to deter cheating in multiplayer.
* Hosts can now immediately Kick users from their games in Lobby and in game via Cell phone without having to rely on peer voting.
* Fixed a bug in Cops 'n Crooks mode where Host would drop out and prevent remaining players from leaving game.

Soldato
I posted in the official thread, but no response was forthcoming: Has anybody tried MP with the new patch? Any improvement?

Soldato
OP
I would have expected performance improvements...

Also, :confused:

Version 1.0.0.4 – November 10, 2009

GENERAL:

• Convert all region SKU's into the same SKU.
  • Include support for all languages within single exe.
CONTROLS:

• Allow controls to be double mapped on keyboard.
  • Added option in controls menu to disable mouse controls in helicopters.
  • Adjust keyboard control sensitivity in hood cam view in vehicles.
MULTIPLAYER:

• Security Updates to deter cheating in multiplayer.
  • Hosts can now immediately Kick users from their games in Lobby and in game via Cell phone without having to rely on peer voting.
  • Fixed a bug in Cops 'n Crooks mode where Host would drop out and prevent remaining players from leaving game.

Soldato
1.0.0.4 had me for minute, when you download the patch it's named as 1.0.0.5, we had 1.0.0.4 back in April so must be a typo :) If there is to be any performance updates, I guess they will come once/after Lost and Dammed is released.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom