• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060 - Buy now or wait?

Soldato
Prices will always come down. New generations will always be on the horizon. How long can you wait? If you have the cash and want the card, don't spend 3-6 months hovering over the buy button. You could set a price for yourself and wait a month to see if a deal pops up I guess.

Associate
OP
Prices will always come down. New generations will always be on the horizon. How long can you wait? If you have the cash and want the card, don't spend 3-6 months hovering over the buy button. You could set a price for yourself and wait a month to see if a deal pops up I guess.

Good point, I just didn't want to order and then a few weeks later prices drop significantly. I'll place my order this week in that case, thanks :D

SBD

SBD

Associate
If your computer works and you can still play games (with low settings) then wait. I’m refusing to buy current Nvidia gen cards as they are 2 year old tech.

My 7970 GHz struggles at 1440p but it’s just about playable. I wouldn’t bother with AMD either as the price / performance just isn’t there. When the AMD RX480 8GB was £180 it was worth buying and I do kick myself for not buying over a year ago!

Associate
OP
If your computer works and you can still play games (with low settings) then wait. I’m refusing to buy current Nvidia gen cards as they are 2 year old tech.

My 7970 GHz struggles at 1440p but it’s just about playable. I wouldn’t bother with AMD either as the price / performance just isn’t there. When the AMD RX480 8GB was £180 it was worth buying and I do kick myself for not

Won't the next gen Nvidia cards be quite expensive? I'm currently using a 7970 too and it struggles on a few games at 1080p. A 1060 would be a considerable upgrade for quite a reasonable price.

Associate
Well, prices are "expected" to come down in the last few months of this year. Also the next generation of GPU's is expected around the same time. It's a pretty long wait. Course no one knows for sure what will happen.

Soldato
If you have the cash just get it. We don't live forvever. Enjoy the now. Everyone doesn't always need the latest GPU's?

That's a nice card as well, but it is very wide. Make sure it will fit in your case.

Associate
Looks like prices are dropping, I just noticed a recent email from Ocuk that arrived yesterday
1060 windforce OC £265
1060 compact £169
1060 jet stream £229
I’d say there pretty good prices for what you get. My 1060 plays everything so far I don’t mind it being a few years old although would be tempted if the 1070’s dropped further not to bothered about 1080’s really

Man of Honour
This, lol.

Although it wont be long, what we cannot do yet is envisage the retail price.

I think people look at things the wrong way when they think new GPUs are around the corner.

A better way of doing it would be for a person to decide what level of performance they want and how much they want to pay for it.

For example if someone wanted 1080 Ti levels of performance they could either buy a cheap used 1080 Ti now or wait for the 1170 whenever that turns up.

Either way the performance and cost are going to be about the same but they would get to use the 1080 Ti right away. If they wait for the 1170 it could still be months away.

Soldato
For example if someone wanted 1080 Ti levels of performance they could either buy a cheap used 1080 Ti now or wait for the 1170 whenever that turns up.

1080Ti is still over £600, and judging by what GPUs most people buy I'd say they don't think it's very cheap.. otherwise most would be on that card at least, hardly "cheap" imo. Maybe to you it's cheap.

Man of Honour
On the MM ? Are we looking at the same MM? Lol

I see plenty of people wanting over £700 for a second hand 1080ti.... nowhere near cheap enough for a second hand card

I sold one the other week for £475 which is much more realistic.

Some of the asking prices on the MM are a bit silly to say the least.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I think people look at things the wrong way when they think new GPUs are around the corner.

A better way of doing it would be for a person to decide what level of performance they want and how much they want to pay for it.

I agree, generally though you (as the user) should just buy when you need the performance such as when a game is purchased and the old one doesnt cut it or you have an A list title and want glorious detail. Waiting and waiting some more for a dip is hard to come by these days with retailers knowing the market so well its rare there are any huge deals they just do the occasional undercut hoping you will have something else in the basket on checkout.

Back
Top Bottom