• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080 Causing PC to Freeze?

Associate
Hi,

Over the past month of owning an ASUS Strix GTX 1080, I've been unable to play higher end games such Battlefield 1 or PUBG for example.

I get about 30mins into a game and my PC completely freezes and I have to hard reset my PC. I have reinstall the games, reinstall Windows 10, Reinstall Nvidia drivers but get the same issue. I've also tried the GPU in a completely different machine but I get a different effect, instead of freezing I get a black screen half way through the game but I can move the cursor and that's about it.

The only conclusion I have to is the GPU faulty, PSU (The other computer was 750W and still had an issue) or the lack of RAM.

Does any body else have any suggestion on how to fix this or is my GPU up for RMA?

Any help would be Helpfull, Thanks.

My Specs:
I7 4790K
ASUS Strix GTX1080
8GB RAM
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
650W Corsair PSU
Asus PG278QR ROG Swift 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 165Hz

Associate
Strangely enough I had a similar issue with my GTX780, I also have a 750 watt pay in the end I couldn't find a solution and purchased a GTX1080 and haven't had any problems so far

Associate
OP
Either this is a crazy coincidence or a driver issue because my Gtx 1080 PC has crashed on PUBG and Dota in the last few weeks. Was perfectly stable until recently.

I play League of legends and I do not get this issue, just on higher end games

Associate
I play League of legends and I do not get this issue, just on higher end games

if it helps i had similar issues with a couple of system builds recently
one was down to the faulty gfx card worked fine in 2d and light 3d but anything with heavy 3d work would cause system crash i also monitor the gpu boost and notice it would drop its clocks way down up and down in heavy 3d work ...card was running cool ...and was tested in three other builds with the same fault

the other issue i had was down to the Display port cable re blank screens while gaming

Associate
If any help , I have been having similar problem recently, games completely freezing PC randomly but regularly.
After much fafffing, research, swearing and experimenting , and going through driver and OS reinstalls as you have, I've narrowed it down to almost certainly only happens when Steam is running and as of yesterday I *think* culprit is bluetooth xbox controller and steam having some bad interaction. Which google suggests might be a real thing.
Not sure if it is a steam update, windows update or what, but just to let you know it *might* not be the card itself.

Back
Top Bottom