• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 2080 bottleneck?

Associate
Hi everyone. It is time for me to upgrade my rig so I want to start with this mighty card. Now, I'm not sure if the current spec of my build will run fine with the card. The ram is ddr3 (16gb though) and the motherboard is not ddr4 compatible. CPU should be fine I think.

Let me know your thoughts. :)

Caporegime
A 2080 will be fine but that chip would be far better running at 4.5 which should be easy enough to do. With Raytracing, it appears the more cores and speed you have, it lets the tensor cores stretch their legs and will be faster/smoother.

Associate
Nobody knows what the 20XX cards can do.

Are they faster than the 10xx with ray tracing off?
Are they only worth buying if you want ray tracing?

Nobody knows anything about these cards, and people are pre ordering them, it’s baffling

Associate
OP
Nobody knows what the 20XX cards can do.

Are they faster than the 10xx with ray tracing off?
Are they only worth buying if you want ray tracing?

Nobody knows anything about these cards, and people are pre ordering them, it’s baffling

That is very true. Wasn’t going to preorder though. My plan is to ask first so that I know if I need to do a major build upgrade

Associate
That is very true. Wasn’t going to preorder though. My plan is to ask first so that I know if I need to do a major build upgrade
Wait until they get into customers hands and real world gaming benchmarks emerge, personally I’m looking forward to the seeing how the 2070 stacks up against the vega64/1070ti/1080 before I buy anything.

What are you gaming at?

Permabanned
No, the 4790K is still more than enough and you've got some decent memory there anyway, even if it is only DDR3.

Overclock a little? my 4790K is a bit of a dog but still I'm able to push 4.6GHz for everyday usage at 1.25V. Sadly any higher for me and the voltage requirements go a bit nuts but maybe yours is better.

Associate
OP
No, the 4790K is still more than enough and you've got some decent memory there anyway, even if it is only DDR3.

Overclock a little? my 4790K is a bit of a dog but still I'm able to push 4.6GHz for everyday usage at 1.25V. Sadly any higher for me and the voltage requirements go a bit nuts but maybe yours is better.

I have never OC'd a cpu so I'm not exactly sure on how to zero it in once it starts acting up. Could you link me a good tutorial ?

Associate
Most important question to ask is what monitor resoultion and refresh rate are you planning to game at? If it's 60Hz I wouldn't worry about your CPU being a bottleneck at all, but if you are using 120Hz+ then your average framerate will suffer a bit on a wide range of games compared to a 8700k for example.

Associate
OP
Most important question to ask is what monitor resoultion and refresh rate are you planning to game at? If it's 60Hz I wouldn't worry about your CPU being a bottleneck at all, but if you are using 120Hz+ then your average framerate will suffer a bit on a wide range of games compared to a 8700k for example.

I’m using a 3440x1440 100hz monitor - so my 970 is struggling to power those pixels. Which is expected

Soldato

Well my 4970k at 4,7 is not enough for my 1080ti. It works fine most of the time but the gpu is certainly bottlenecked, even at 1440p at times. It depends on the game of course but ive seen it several times in different games with GPU utilization below 90% and CPU above 75-80%. Its right there on the edge of being enough but still not 100%. However if you are not super "anal" like i am about it most people will have a fine/good experience.

Associate
OP
Well my 4970k at 4,7 is not enough for my 1080ti. It works fine most of the time but the gpu is certainly bottlenecked, even at 1440p at times. It depends on the game of course but ive seen it several times in different games with GPU utilization below 90% and CPU above 75-80%. Its right there on the edge of being enough but still not 100%. However if you are not super "anal" like i am about it most people will have a fine/good experience.

In all fairness, I might just wait for the real world benchmarks for the 2080 and if there isn't a crazy gain in fps, I'll just get a 1080ti

Soldato
In all fairness, I might just wait for the real world benchmarks for the 2080 and if there isn't a crazy gain in fps, I'll just get a 1080ti
Well i'm not regretting getting the 1080ti thats for sure.. its a powerful card. I would have ended up with a Vega card if it were not 40% more expensive at the time of purchase. But at the end of the day at the price i paid it was a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom