• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 460 screen freeze issue

Associate
Hi guys

A mate from work recently purchased a GTX 460 1gb, and he's having issues where the screen freezes and the only way to recover is to restart the comp. This can happen at random times, sometimes while he's on the desktop other times he can be playing games for 3-4 hours, and as soon as he quits the game within seconds its frozen again. At first he thought it was his old power supply, so he bought a new OCZ 600w, still freezes. We have rolled the driver version back a few revisions still crashes :mad:. The cards not overheating, and to be honest im all out of ideas. Oh, the OS is Vista x64.

If any of you clever people have any other ideas we could try that would be great, if not i'll get him to RMA the card.

Thanks in advance

FP

edit: He has a gigabyte P55-UD5 with the latest bios.

Associate
I've had the same problem with an old 7950gt, I've tried every driver that would support a 7950gt but in the end i settled on a new card.

I'd RMA the GTX460.

Associate
Hi,

Not an expert by no means, but did you remove the old drivers with driver cleaner, also i guess its an i5 on that motherboard is it overclocked??

1) I would remove the drivers first, use driver cleaner then install them again,
2) If overclocked revert back to the basic settings and try that,

I have the P55a-UD4, had issues with the memory running at 1600 would lock up the pc, had to move down to 1200, but this gave better timmings and the memory ran better.

If you have any more details about the PC i guess that would help, it may need an rma but would think last thing to do.

Nice one

Back
Top Bottom