• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
Will a non reference work ok with a reference card in sli?

Yeah, some of the multi fan cards have issues when you use them in the top slot, with another card below, so in sli the top card is better off being a reference type, but the bottom card of the two should be fine being a nonreference type

It has you covered for all bases then - you get a better chance of a high clocking single card now, an then the option to either sli or upgrade later

Associate
I'm stuck because I don't know what I want or actually need.

I have a 120hz 1080p monitor, and I'm unsure if one gtx 980 would be better than 1 or 2 970s in sli?

I got two bathrooms in my house.
Do I REALLY need 2 of those - NO, but surely I want them.

Go for 970 sli :)
perfrel_1920.gif

Soldato

the 970 is small, sexy, doesn't run hot, doesn't make a sound, and doesn't sag in the slot like my bloody useless pile of junk 7990, that was a total waste of 300 quid :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
Ordered my 970 on release day. Called on the day to check that the order went through and was told it did and that it would be delivered Monday.

Today the product has not arrived and I called to check what happened, was told that OCUK only ever had 1 of the cards in stock on release day? (It was showing 8+ in stock on the website)

Not impressed to say the least. Can someone help me with my order?

Here is the card I ordered:

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC ACX 1.0 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (04G-P4-0974-KR)

Soldato
Yeah, some of the multi fan cards have issues when you use them in the top slot, with another card below, so in sli the top card is better off being a reference type, but the bottom card of the two should be fine being a nonreference type

It has you covered for all bases then - you get a better chance of a high clocking single card now, an then the option to either sli or upgrade later

Brilliant, thanks for that info.

I got two bathrooms in my house.
Do I REALLY need 2 of those - NO, but surely I want them.

Go for 970 sli :)
perfrel_1920.gif

Scaling is really great. Tempted to buy both cards in one go, but might be happy with just 1 card for now. Trying to save a bit towards a new Haswell-E system as well right now.

Permabanned
You going to get aftermarket cooler and use the fan at the top for the h100? So the fan got cook the CPU and get rid if the heat from the GPU too your mad :p

Fans going to have spin fairly fast specially sli

Well the cpu is the weaker link in clockspeed and the rear 140mm on my 540 has no grills so it sucks a lot of air and you have the top H100i in there too that is all i have for exhausts. If i add in a reference card im sucking out a lot more than what 2 140mm AF front fans put in so lots of dust.

I figured it was best to get the third party and blow all the air up unti the top and add two more on the bottom to aid. Yea the H100i is going to heat up but 980 already runs cool and you will get rid of heat off the card better too. So higher clocks for boost. Im not going SLI anymore either im only buying one 980 now.

Associate
My rig + 2 GTX980s.. Possible?

Hi guys,

And girls i suppose. New to the forum.

I was thinking about getting 2 GTX 980s and putting them in my rig but im not sure if my AX760 psu will manage? any help?

Thanks

Soldato
Really impressed with the 980, played through a few games @ 1440P maxed out BF4, Titanfall. Dead Rising 3, Crysis and it doesn't falter, Crysis 3 set to all 'high' 2 X MSAA and 16 AF and it glides. Benchmarks it's a step above my 780 Ti. This is a very very good card.

The cards that come after this are going to be ridiculous, not even at 20nm yet and the 980 has really surprised me. Performance going forward is going to be mind blowing, maybe 4K gaming really will be possible :eek:

Associate
Really impressed with the 980, played through a few games @ 1440P maxed out BF4, Titanfall. Dead Rising 3, Crysis and it doesn't falter, Crysis 3 set to all 'high' 2 X MSAA and 16 AF and it glides. Benchmarks it's a step above my 780 Ti. This is a very very good card.

The cards that come after this are going to be ridiculous, not even at 20nm yet and the 980 has really surprised me. Performance going forward is going to be mind blowing, maybe 4K gaming really will be possible :eek:

You got to imagine the race to whichever team gets to 4k capable on a single card first is going to make a bit of money. Not that 4k gamers are a large part of the market yet or in the near future but I imagine once a card can deliver it on it's own then it will become more mainstream.

Soldato
"4K60" is a very marketable metric to slap on the box. Even 1080p gamers would take notice, anything that instills consumer confidence is money.

Back
Top Bottom