• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
The 970 seems like a fantastic card but I think I'll wait to see whether blokes at AMD do something to take some wind out of Nvidia's sails. My 7850 is struggling a bit but I should manage until 2015. There's nothing worth playing until then anyways (except AC: U or maybe FC4, both of which should still be somewhat playable on my hardware if I don't go bonkers with the settings). I don't even play that much to begin with but I'm quite tempted by GTA V, The Witcher 3 and the rest of the bunch;p

I sort of don't want to buy an another more power-efficient rebrand, especially that 300 quid is quite a bit of dosh to me. 20nm GPUs might not be that far off so I might as well wait some more time. Even if the new cards don't turn out to be that much more powerful, the 970 will hopefully have gone down in price by then;p

Associate
The 970 seems like a fantastic card but I think I'll wait to see whether blokes at AMD do something to take some wind out of Nvidia's sails. My 7850 is struggling a bit but I should manage until 2015. There's nothing worth playing until then anyways (except AC: U or maybe FC4, both of which should still be somewhat playable on my hardware if I don't go bonkers with the settings). I don't even play that much to begin with but I'm quite tempted by GTA V, The Witcher 3 and the rest of the bunch;p

I sort of don't want to buy an another more power-efficient rebrand, especially that 300 quid is quite a bit of dosh to me. 20nm GPUs might not be that far off so I might as well wait some more time. Even if the new cards don't turn out to be that much more powerful, the 970 will hopefully have gone down in price by then;p

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm tempted to upgrade my GTX 670 but theres nothing that I cant play at decent settings so will probably wait it out.

Soldato
Strange how we are expecting to pay a premium for the GTX 970's with the Titan cooler when they arrive, yet the GTX 980's with titan cooler are cheaper than the customs.

Soldato
Strange how we are expecting to pay a premium for the GTX 970's with the Titan cooler when they arrive, yet the GTX 980's with titan cooler are cheaper than the customs.

Yeah ×_×
Plus I've seen evga offer to sell a titan cooler to a customer for £30. I'd assume the 980 cooler would be cheaper due to lack of a vapour chamber.

Soldato
A single 980 is slower that crossfired 7970's/280x's.

Even at stock the 980 isn't much slower than 2 x 280X's, than factor in not relying on crossfire, more vram, DirectX 12 support etc. To sum it up I would say better.

*Update*

OP says he has 2 x 290X's, so in terms of raw performance no reason to switch to a single 980, so unless OP wants a cooler quieter running PC. Better to wait for the 390X / 980Ti to show up, with more of a performance jump.

Last edited:

MrH

MrH

Associate
So I got an MSI GTX 970 4G today but sadly I've crashed twice with event viewer showing "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered". Is there anything I can do about this?

MrH

MrH

Associate
It's the overclock you've got on the card surely.

Would you suggest simply lowering it or perhaps increasing the voltage slightly to make it stable? My temps and fan speed are great, usually 50 - 60c under load at most. My current overclock was quite modest I thought for the MSI at +230/+300.

Back
Top Bottom