• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
So I've been holding out on upgrading my GTX970 now for a good few months, waiting primarily to see what came out of Navi. After seeing the RX 5700/RX 5700XT, I feel I have 2 options.

I've always has NVIDIA cards but bought a freesync compatibale monitor just before christmas 2018 and so would like to benefit from the feature by getting an AMD card.

I'd like to budget myself to around £300 and don't mind buying used. I've been thinking about a Vega 64 but wouldn't mind an RX 5700. I'd like to be able to play on medium settings at 2560x1440.

Any suggestions would be amazing thanks.

Other main system specs:
i7-3770k @ 3.9Ghz
16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz

Associate
I would hold fire on Navi at the moment, because if the release prices are to be believed, then getting a Vega 64 - especially used - would be far more sensible at this time. :)

Soldato
You have pretty much same spec as me and I keep looking to upgrade but my 970 seems to do fine at 4K for the games I play

What res you playing at? have you added any OC?

Permabanned
The Nvidia compatibility list is a problem. I have a monitor that is not listed as compatible, but it works perfectly with an NVIDIA card.
I would be very tempted to buy a card from a store that offers a no quibble returns service and try it rather then trusting to their compatibility list.
I have no idea whether Overclockers offer no quibble returns, you should ask them.
One thing I certainly can agree with though is you should definitely use freesync if you can. There is no doubt its great.

Associate
OP
Thought I'd update to put this at a close and say after much thinking and research, I've decided to go with a new Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse at £269.99 fro OCUK.
Thanks for the responses guys.

Soldato
Thought I'd update to put this at a close and say after much thinking and research, I've decided to go with a new Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse at £269.99 fro OCUK.
Thanks for the responses guys.
I've done the same today, 970 to the 56 pulse, 144hz 1440p freesync display, and it's awesome, Samsung memory so it'll over clock to 64 levels or beyond when I start messing with it :) enjoy

Associate
My 970 died a month or two back and after waiting for the Navi news, went with a Sapphire Pulse 56 for OCUK too. Would GPU-Z programme tell me what make of chips are on it?

Back
Top Bottom