Guess the year on the radio.

Associate
How is Guess The Year still a radio feature?

DJ plays a song from the 80s and people still, in the age of smart phones and Google, phone in with the WRONG answer.

Tickles me up.

Any other dumb things from pre-internet/smartphone days that still go on that make you laugh?

Associate
OP
Yea but really, people pick the phone up to call the radio station with the wrong answer.

I am aware it's just a bit of fun, something that appears to be MISSING from this forum, but I just think it's funny that people call up with the wrong answer.

Associate
Don't they do this with a montage of tiny half second clips though? Wouldn't have thought a smartphone would be able to resolve such short bursts.

Associate
OP
Don't they do this with a montage of tiny half second clips though? Wouldn't have thought a smartphone would be able to resolve such short bursts.
I listen to more of the golden oldies so I assume the callers aren't so tech savvy. It's not a competition, just a bit of fun to get yourself on the radio. I've just never felt compelled to call in with the wrong answer.

Soldato
People see it as a memory challenge rather than a google challenge, as people have said if your going to google the answer why play along in the 1st place.

They ring in with the 'wrong' answer because they believe they have the correct answer and don't check on google because it's just a bit of fun, add a prize to the equation and watch they wrong answers drop dramatically.

Soldato
I completely understand why people do it.
as said above its a bit of fun, if there was money/prizes involved that is when people would absolutely do what you said.

I don't often listen to the radio any more but I always try and guess the year by myself, you know just for fun ;)
try it, its actually quite enjoyable :)

Soldato
Its just a bit of fun. Goes down well in my workplace. Of course you could google it. You could watch any gameshow on TV and pause and google the answer if you wanted to but thats not the point of playing along.

Caporegime
How is Guess The Year still a radio feature?

DJ plays a song from the 80s and people still, in the age of smart phones and Google, phone in with the WRONG answer.

Tickles me up.

Any other dumb things from pre-internet/smartphone days that still go on that make you laugh?
It might not be the most amusing section of the radio show if all callers just did this.

Soldato
Gets me when they announce it and say “It was all the way back in...2004”!

I mean wow, long time ago! Not the mid 70s, but back when we had broadband, mobiles, two decent cars per household, online shopping, a thousand TV channels :p

Associate
OP
Gets me when they announce it and say “It was all the way back in...2004”!

I mean wow, long time ago! Not the mid 70s, but back when we had broadband, mobiles, two decent cars per household, online shopping, a thousand TV channels :p
If you're a 23 year old Radio One DJ then I guess 2004 seems a long time ago :D

Back
Top Bottom