** GUIDE TO VR: WHAT SPECIFICATION OF PC/VGA DO I NEED? **

Soldato
Got to love OCUK for these threads. Mainly @Gibbo for making them.

It's that extra mile the go....

Anyway, I've got a gtx 980ti and I've not had no problems at all with VR. I could lover the settings and still have the same enjoyment. Its the game play that draws me in. It's out of this world

Soldato
i dont know how you tell the score figures as you guys post, but with my system using the 950 it stays in the 'capable' with upgrade recommended if i want better than low quality lol, interesting to see how the 570 scores when i get chance.

Associate
Hi,
My kids want VR but I think that I need to upgrade the graphics card on their machine first. It is an Nvidia 780 GTX. Given the overall cost am looking at graphics for birthday and VR for Xmas - that way round is acceptable to them and might mean they get better kit.
I am clueless when it comes to VR and this post's first post is old.

What is the minimum I should be looking at graphics wise a 1060, 1070, 2060, 1060Ti? I am not familiar with Radeon's but have the Dell 27 QHD monitor everyone raves about S2179DGF which I think is Freesync.
The rest of the machine is only 18 months old, so should be OK
Ryzen 1600
8Gb RAM DD4 Team Vulcan
SSD plus HDD
Gigabyte Ab350 m/board (onboard sound)
Seasonic 1000W Gold PSU

Ill ask about headsets later unless that affects the choice of graphics card??

Hello - any help out there please?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know much about AMD cards, but a 1050Ti is the bare minimum, and a 1060 is recommended.

Alternatively get an Oculus Quest which doesn't requires a PC but which gives a very good VR experience, though the fixed IPD may not be ideal for children, depending on their age.

Associate
I am currently using (and have been for a long time) the following with my Rift:
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0, AMD FX-8370, 16GB RAM and a GTX1060 6GB recently changed to an RTX 2060​
I currently use it for DCS World, it runs well, smoothly with no stutters and I am very pleased and happy with the result.
However, I am upgrading this summer to an ASUS Crosshair VII x470, Ryzen 3600x, 32 GB RAM and an RTX 2060.
It will be interesting to see what difference the above changes makes - let me upgrade and I'll report back later.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had an oculus rift running on a core2 quad @3.5GHz, 4Gb ram and a 780Ti. The oculus demos worked ok with the one sensor. Didn't try it with more demanding titles.

Associate
I am currently using (and have been for a long time) the following with my Rift:
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0, AMD FX-8370, 16GB RAM and a GTX1060 6GB recently changed to an RTX 2060​
I currently use it for DCS World, it runs well, smoothly with no stutters and I am very pleased and happy with the result.
However, I am upgrading this summer to an ASUS Crosshair VII x470, Ryzen 3600x, 32 GB RAM and an RTX 2060.
It will be interesting to see what difference the above changes makes - let me upgrade and I'll report back later.

Is this later for a report? Have ended up with a 2070S on preorder.

Soldato
What's a rough budget required for an 8GB RAM system using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980? Pricing up an "average" system to use with Valve Index ready for the new HL next year. Hopefully not £1,500 that people have been quoting a few times considering the age of the thread.

Soldato
What's a rough budget required for an 8GB RAM system using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980? Pricing up an "average" system to use with Valve Index ready for the new HL next year. Hopefully not £1,500 that people have been quoting a few times considering the age of the thread.

The 980 isn't good enough to run a Valve Index. And, there is no point in discussing prices or systems now, come back when you are ready to buy.

Soldato
The 980 isn't good enough to run a Valve Index. And, there is no point in discussing prices or systems now, come back when you are ready to buy.

The Valve Index site lists the 970+ as minimum requirement? Isn't the 980 better? I won't know if I'm ready to buy unless I have a rough idea of the budget I'll need ;) Not looking for top of the range.

Soldato
The Valve Index site lists the 970+ as minimum requirement? Isn't the 980 better? I won't know if I'm ready to buy unless I have a rough idea of the budget I'll need ;) Not looking for top of the range.

Running a Valve Index on underpowered hardware isn't going to give you a good experience unfortunately. It shines on high-end hardware that can make use of the higher resolution, FOV and refresh rates.

Soldato
Running a Valve Index on underpowered hardware isn't going to give you a good experience unfortunately. It shines on high-end hardware that can make use of the higher resolution, FOV and refresh rates.

But Half Life :(

Am I looking at £1,500 for a decent unit then?

Associate
Is this later for a report? Have ended up with a 2070S on preorder.

I upgraded my PC to an ASUS Crosshair VII x470, Ryzen 3600x, 32 GB RAM to my existing (bought April 2019) RTX 2060.
I probably got an approximately 30% increase in frame rate on my 2560x1440 monitor.
Unfortunately, I have been too busy to sit down and get the VR up and running again so I cannot say what difference the above makes when running VR.

On the basis that my 1060 worked well, your 2070 should fly>>>>

Soldato

VR gaming isn't like normal gaming. The better your hardware, the better your VR experience will be. That doesn't just include how good it looks but also how comfortable the experience is. Having low frame rates in VR games doesn't just look bad, it also feels bad and can make people nauseous.

The Valve Index is a top of the range VR hardware and needs a good system. Why do you want to spend so much money on a headset and so little on the system to drive it? The Oculus Rift S or Quest will give almost as good as experience as the Valve Index for much less.

With regards to your question about budget. It's question that we can't give an exact answer to as We don't know what the prices will be next year when you decide to change. But at current prices, £1000 would buy you good system for VR.

IT also depends are you using anything from your current PC, or will it be all new and does your price include a monitor?

Soldato
I've been toying with a VR setup for a long time, and Alyx has pushed it for me.

I tried out a friend's Rift 1, I think, and very quickly got used to the controls and loved it. He had 3 sensors I think.

I see some Rift kits come without sensors at all, and some of the controller's look like they're underslung rather than with the hoop over the top like what I used.

My current system is a Ryzen 3700X, 16GB Corsair LPX 3600 ram and a 980TI.

With that in mind, which Rift do I need? I'm happy to pick up a CV1 off MM since that's what I've used but I don't know the difference between it and the S and Quest and if I need sensors or not. Can anyone enlighten me?

Soldato
If you can get a second hand CV1 in good condition cheap with three sensors then it may be worth it. However there is a design flaw in the CV1 which can cause the right headphone to stop working through wear and tear, and the cable is no longer produced so if that breaks you are stuffed.

The Rift S will be £350 on black friday, requires no external sensors and has a clearer display (though it's LCD) than the Rift. The audio is also not very good.

One important thing to consider is your IPD (Inter pupillary distance). The Rift S has fixed lenses which means that if your IPD is too small or too large then it may not be a good experience.

Associate
Machine Specs currently
Ryzen 5 1600
16Gb (2x8) RAM DD4 Team Vulcan 3000MHz
SSD plus HDD
Gigabyte AB350 m/board (onboard sound)
Seasonic 1000W Gold PSU
Asus RTX 2070 Super Dual Evo

Looking now at Rift S only now (not Quest because of GPU) and a Black Friday deal - £350 now everywhere. 2 questions:
1. Any issues with above spec?
2. People have mentioned about getting a different headset?

Thanks in advance...

Soldato
The "go to" cards at the minute seem to be 5700XT or a 2070 super. However, the price difference between the units are huge (£350 vs £500). Is the 2070 Super worth the extra when it comes to VR?

Back
Top Bottom