Guides, links, useful stuff, Microsoft Licensing info and 64bit FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Common Myths

Q. Can I install the same copy of Windows XP on more than one computer in my own house? Can't I install one copy on my desktop and my laptop?
A. No, this has never been permitted by the Windows license. You can install Microsoft Office XP on both your desktop and your laptop, but Windows has always allowed only one installation per copy.Q. Is there an upper limit to the amount of times I can activate a licensed copy of Windows?A. No, you can activate a licensed product as many times as you wish, albeit after the first few times automatic online activation will fail. If automatic activation fails phone up activation support on the phone number provided.Q. Isn’t the Windows license distributed on the Windows Genuine Advantage Program an OEM version? Isn’t that about the same price?A. As has been said before, the license granted on the WGA is the Full Retail License worth about £160 for Home and £250 for Professional.

Q. What hardware qualifies to purchase an OEM license?
A. It used to be a piece of non-periperal hardware, but Microsoft have since relaxed thier licensing policy with this and OEM licenses no longer need to be sold with hardware.

Q. Do I need to reinstall if I take part in the Windows Genuine Advantge Program?
A. If you use the electronic key tool that MS will provide a link to, you can legalise your installation without the need for a format and reinstall. This link contains a 'Magic Jelly Bean' like diagnostics tool and the tool used to change the product key without a reinstall: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine...20092&SiteID=25.

Q. Can you only transfer the retail version of Vista twice?

A. This was Microsoft’s policy before Vista was commercially available. This term has since been revise to be inline with XP and all sites that state this are out of date. Vista retail can be transferred as many times as you wish as long as it is only on one PC at the time.

Q. I want to upgrade the Motherboard, can't I say that my Motherboard failed?
A. You could, and MS would probably allow you to activate, but you are NOT licensed. It must be replaced under a 'warranty claim'. Here's what MS have to say:
Microsoft said:
"If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC. The replacement motherboard must be the same make/model or the same manufacturer’s replacement/equivalent."

Q. OEM software says only for installation by system builders. Am I one?
A. Most likely yes. Here is Microsoft's definition:
System Builder License said:
“System builder” means an original equipment manufacturer, an assembler, refurbisher, or pre-installer of software on computer systems.
By Building a PC you are a system builder.

Q. I have read contradicting information on Paul Thurrot’s WinSuperSite, who is right?
A. Despite the large publicity that the site has drawn, there is one substantial problem : Paul Thurrott is an arse and don’t expect anything he says to have any bearing fact or reality for that matter.

Q. I've broken my Windows disc or I need to get a different version of my media, where can I get it from? (This also includes precurement of 64bit OEM media)
A. You can replace broken or lost media from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Last edited:
Soldato
For those using firefox 2, and like their Alt-S for posting...

I couldn't find this, and just spent a while looking it up. Apologies if already posted.

I like using alt-s to submit new posts and edits. However, in firefox 2, mozilla have moved the 'accesskey' key from Alt to Shift-Alt. Which means you now need to do Shift-Alt-S to save/submit. If, like me, you find this annoying, go to about:config and set:

ui.key.chromeAccess to 5
ui.key.contentAccess to 4

Basically, Shift is 1, Ctrl is 2, Alt is 4. To get combinations, just add. contentAccess controls the keys needed for web shortcuts, and chromeAccess controls access to the menu shortcuts. I've found that if there is no web shortcut / accesskey on a page, it'll do a menu shortcut if it's there.

Associate
Hi guys,

recently I decided I'd like to try out a different theme for Windows XP but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

I was hoping somebody could explain what I need to do?

I checked the official Microsoft Themes but it seems:
1. They're no good
2. You have to pay for them.

I'd just like some simple themes that aren't too gadgety but from what I've read you need to download lots of software to use unofficial downloaded themes.

Just a few questions about using themes:
Do themes take up much resources? I don't want anything that's gonna be too thirsty.
Can using downloaded themes cause problems?
Will using a different theme change all of my icons?
Can you get themes that simply change the colours and shape of the normal Windows Xp theme?

Thanks in advance for any info anybody can offer!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
would be best to start a new thread please rather than fill up the sticky....wil delete these posts soon to clean it up :)

Soldato
Yes this thread could do with some cleanup.

Making Microsoft LifeCam Webcam Button Launch Skype (or other programs)

This method requires Vista as this hack makes use of a command line tool that has only become availiable in Vista. I am using Vista x64, it's the same for Vista x86 except the path will be different.

1) Open an elevated command prompt (Administrator Mode).

2) Browse to the LifeCam Directory using cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft LifeCam"

3) Type rename IcePick.exe IcePick.ex_

4) Type mklink IcePick.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"

You should now be able to use the button to launch Skype. Make sure you check the paths as they will be different if your using a different operating system and install locations. Basically the command creates an alias (or symbolic link) which is esentially a shortcut to another file except it's a real file rather than a standard shortcut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom