Guild Wars 2

Soldato
I see this is only £20.99 for heroic or 29.99 for DD this weekend and Im a bit tempted

Are there still plenty playing it?
Are there any buddy trials or owt?

Yes, lot's of full servers about - I play on Seafarer's Rest which isn't as populated as Desolation but still has lot's of people about doing the events etc It's a great little game and the lack of subscription makes it easy to just drop back into whenever there is a patch out to see what they're upto.

No buddy trial though, there was an actual trial only a couple of weeks ago, surprised they didn't put one on for a sale.

Soldato
Is there an OcUK guild?

Gonna see if a few mates fancy trying it as SimplyCDKeys has it at 19.99 too.

I normally play tank but quite fancy DPS, whats a good PvP class?

If there was I imagine it would have been on Desolation which was the server most people picked to play on at launch, it's still the if not one of the most populated servers but is bad in WvW so I'd recommend Seafarer's Rest if that is what interests you as they're the #1 English speaking server (and are currently duking it out with VS/Piken for #1 EU :D)

There are no tanks/healers as dedicated and necessary roles, all classes are essentially a DPS/support that have to ultimately look after themselves in a fight. That isn't to say that there are classes that aren't tanky or those that don't have healing abilities/affects however.

PvP comes in the form of BGs (sPvP) and WvW, the classes are all viable in both of those, I would honestly just pick a class that you think suits you the best / is the most fun and roll with it and learn the ins and outs and try different builds in different game types to get the most out of it.

Last edited:
Associate
I play on Blackgate server on the US side, don't be afraid of jumping on a US server as it's not like an fps where your ping makes a huge difference.
The benefit of the US server is that it is very busy for WvW, I think blackgate is one of the top tier ones. It's very international meaning it's busy all day and all night with the various time zones.
I find the WvW very organised on that server with a lot of people on teamspeak (you don't have to speak but listening helps). I have never joined a guild and think I have only ever run one instance since launch, but I still have a good time when I play as I have a few mates that play on that server.
It's a great game for dipping in and out of, I have a couple of level 80 characters but have just started playing a ranger and am having great fun just leveling and pottering about.

Soldato
So I've starte to play this on-and-off again but I noticed that despite playing on a 4770K @ 4.2GHz and a 7950 (admittedly at stock) I'm getting framerates of about 30fps. Surely that can't be right?

It starts off at around 60, then slowly drops to about 30. Earlier the game froze, the screen went black and after a few long second the game came back and was running at 60fps, for a few seconds before starting to decrease. Lowering settings doesn't make a difference and it seems neither does what I look at.

Anyone got any idea?

Drop shadows to medium or low and you will see a huge performance increase.

Associate
ah kk so there no one class/build thats better for pvp?

Structured PvP is smaller scale on maps with cap points. 2-8 players per team. It's littered with glass cannon thieves (who I take great pleasure in destroying) and hammer guardians and warriors which can leave you scarred for life...dat damage/survivability! Rangers are fairly scarce but played well can run with the best. Same goes for Necros and elementalists.

World vs World is a free for all between three servers dependent on your server league. I'm in Gandara (Silver league).

I'm running my main which is Mesmer and I get along just fine in both cases. It's the build that counts and the GW2 balancing system is generally very good across all the classes. It really depends on what playstyle you like as a person.

Soldato
Jumped in last night, and got hit with a ton of chests in the mail 1st off, wth!? Secondly, I could have sworn I had pretty much 100% map completion (well, everything bar dungeons, as I never set foot in them) but last night I'm sat at 74%, have they really added in 25% new content in the past 4-6 months, or am I remembering my map % completly wrong???

Back
Top Bottom