Gunnar Optiks - Gimmick or Game changer?

Somethings, like refresh rate and Razer's new haptic feedback, are the kind of thing you just have to experience to understand. It's the only way to distinguish a gimmick from something that's gonna change the way you game - same with Gunnar glasses.

Now I'm not saying they're gonna blow your mind, like your first time hitting that sweet, PC Master-race mind blowing 144Hz gaming experience. - Moment of silence to press 'F' for console peasants -

tenor.gif

but somethings aren't always about adding to the gaming experience, rather making sure that you can enjoy it in total comfort from your noblechair, to your wrist rest, to that can of Redbull that keeps 2AM at bay. After all, back and eye strain are total mood killers, even for the most dedicated gamers.

So we decided to take one for the team and give Gunnar a go in the office, as on average I personally spend 9 hours in front of my PC at work, as well as gaming in the evenings. I have to have my monitors on the minimum brightness settings and even then there's some days where I can't bare to look at the screen - and unlike University, apparently procrastination in the closest bar doesn't count as "work" anymore. Who knew?

1QN6bSg.jpg

First Impressions - Intercept Onyx.

As someone who's lucky enough to have 20/20 vision, other than sunglasses, all day eye wear is something that's pretty new to me. That's not to mean I don't know the difference between dawning a pair of Oakleys in the summer sun to the £10 pair of aviators from Primark we all know and love.

I picked out the Intercept Onyx as my Gunnar of choice as they're sleek, stylish and unlike the more military inspired designs they don't look like they belong at the shooting range. Although there's a pair for every style, from low key metal frames to the Razer inspired.

Oh and each pair also comes the choice for tinted or clear lenses. I have the tinted frames personally and would recommend them for everyday use, but clear frames offer a compromise for creatives who need minimal impact on their ability to colour correct in post-production. They still have a very gradual tint, so you'll find yourself lifting them up to double tap, but the difference is very minimal with clear frames.

28c8NI5.jpg

Hands on for that look and feel.

The build quality is premium you can feel that from the texture and balanced weight distribution when picking up the frames, in the same way the over-engineered metal hinges give a reassuringly good resistance to being pried open. The frame itself it made of thick, matt-black plastic, with some low-key metallic Gunnar branding down the side. This makes them super lightweight, although if you prefer the feel of a full metal frame, there is the option with other models.

Included in the box is also a micro-fibre cleaning cloth and cover, perfect for taking between the office and home.

The frames themselves are firm, two fingers gripped each side wont flex the front half of arms even with considerable force. The end of the arm however can comfortably bend from the very gradual curve to a 45 degree flex, without any feeling of an impending snap. Wearing them gives a tight grip, not so much to be uncomfortable, but enough that if I could actually perform a handstand they'd probably come along for the ride.

Two weeks in and they've not caused any noticeable discomfort, there was a slight tightness to them in the first few days, but as I've never worn glasses before I put it down to teething pains - similar to the first week of wearing braces except retaining the ability to pronounce the word sausages without everyone cracking a smile.

eYJuFe5.jpg

Zoom in on the details.

First thing you'll notice when you put on your Gunnar glasses is the slight adjustment in colour on the screen, I'd compare it as similar to white vs warm lighting in your home, it noticeably reduces the screen glare from large areas of bright white present in the background. There's also a slight magnification to the lenses, around 1.25x I'd guess, which Gunnar states increases focus on content at hand.

Now, personally the magnification doesn't make a huge difference to me, however I found that for some reason it's a lot easier to read list text on a white background, to the point at which taking off the glasses makes it blurr a little. I thought maybe my vision wasn't quite making the mark anymore, but reading text IRL seems unaffected, so I guess it's the tint making the light softer, that in turn makes it easier to focus.

Snapchat style filters on your favourite FPS?

So the big question that comes with a tint - how is this gonna affect my picture quality? Personally, for gaming titles, ultimately it's not. The colour adjustment is minimal, the slight zoom is actually quite handy and when your engrossed in a decent FPS the last thing you're gonna worry about is local decor being slightly different shade of white as you're redecorating the place the poor scrub who's unwilling make a 6 pint paint donation via your now empty AK-47 clip.

From a purely professional standpoint they have reduced my eye strain, which is gonna make you more productive post-lunch time when you're grinding out the last few hours of the day at work. I don't buy glasses to make myself more productive though, that's a work problem. However on the flip side if I'm leaving work and my eyes aren't burning, that's a win when the first thing I wanna do when returning home is grind my way through the rest of another 100 hour Civ V conquest.

J4Q5Asl.jpg

Thoughts?

I really like the Gunnar frames, I think they're a pretty neat piece of kit, two weeks in and they're not gathering dust which speaks volumes. I don't use them everyday, some times I don't feel the need, especially on a Monday when I've spent the weekend out and about doing real people things. On a Wednesday afternoon however, when 99% of the last 48 hours have been spent in front of a screen of some variety, they're a much welcome relief to an otherwise glaring work screen.

Can you use third party apps to do the same thing? Sure, we all know they exists - which is great, but just like with all things, virtual application is no replacement for a real thing. More over though, I'd say that the glasses are just more convenient, if I wanna drop them, it's two seconds. If I wanna cross platform between my PC, my phone and my iPad it's done. Gunnar just works and it works well at what it does - plus with a few different styles it's not like you can't mix and match to what suits you.

Really it's a question of how much you value your comfort. Similar to the IKEA take on gaming chairs you can always find a cheaper alternative, but when it comes to offering a premium solution, Gunnar does offer a pretty great product and for £49.99 it isn't really that expensive when you consider just how long a conventional pair of glasses will last you.

If you do feel like it's worth the roll, or you fancy a look through the different styles, you can check out the range here: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/peripherals/eyewear/gunnar-optiks

If you do wear prescription lenses though and need them tailored to your needs, you can get more details over at Gunnar's website: https://gunnar.com/prescription/

Soldato
Great Write up, but, they are still a gimmick. If these are reducing your eyestrain after a longs day work, then what you actually need are proper glasses. If wearing these makes text easier to read on a white background, again, you need glasses.

Soldato
Reviews by staff members are pretty much useless imho (no disrespect), as it's only ever going to be positive the majority of the time. After all, they want to sell them.

I think these are a little gimmicky and priced a little high.

OcUK Staff
Reviews by staff members are pretty much useless imho (no disrespect), as it's only ever going to be positive the majority of the time. After all, they want to sell them.

I think these are a little gimmicky and priced a little high.

Personally, I disagree with this statement. Staff on occasion get to try things for extended periods of time (unlike most reviewers) which mean we are the ideal people to share our thoughts. If a product isn't quite so good, we simply wouldn't mention it. At the end of the day, we don't get any sort of bonus for recommending anything and are all just gamers who like tech - no different than you guys. Fortunately, we work somewhere that gives us the opportunity to combine our passions and play with the very latest tech.

Associate
I do find it amusing when people write things off before they've actually tried them. Now I've not tried these glasses so I can't comment on their efficacy, but everyone that has tried them seems to have been impressed to some degree. Not all of them (in the other thread) were staff, though the comments from the OcUK team so far have been balanced and specific, giving me confidence that they have tried them out for long enough to form opinions on how well they work for them.

I've not worn glasses since I had LASIK surgery many years ago, but as someone who does spend a lot of hours staring at a screen I can see the potential benefit, even if the thought of wearing glasses again doesn't fill me with excitement. If OcUK have a spare pair lying around I'll be happy to review them; if they can convince me to wear glasses again they really are worth the money.

Associate
OP

Totally fair comment about the staff reviews - that's why I run the forum review sample threads so that you can get an honest opinion from both us and fellow forum members. ;)

Will be speaking to Gunnar about a round of samples for you guys to check out, big fan of getting the community involved as like you said, hard to distinguish when an opinion is truly unbiased.

Associate
Totally fair comment about the staff reviews - that's why I run the forum review sample threads so that you can get an honest opinion from both us and fellow forum members. ;)

Will be speaking to Gunnar about a round of samples for you guys to check out, big fan of getting the community involved as like you said, hard to distinguish when an opinion is truly unbiased.

Can't argue with that

Associate
I have answered a fair few questions in the other Gunnar thread so I will quote a response I made below.
As Connor has said, we've had a lot of hands on experience with them in the office now and I am pleasantly surprised - Believe it or not, I was sceptical to begin with too and I really didn't think they would work but honestly, I don't use the work PC's or my home Gaming PC without them now.

Also, before anyone points out about needed prescription glasses or not, I have a yearly eye test due to Glaucoma being present in my family and my eyesight is 20/20, as spot on as you could possibly want (I wasn't going into the RAF for nothing) The "Focussing Power" or slight zoom these lenses offer is a useful feature and really does help make text clearer. Even for people like myself with perfect vision, it is no way, shape or form an indication that you require prescription lenses.

Anyway, I digress, see below quotes for further elaboration.

Bailey and PREDATOR - you say that you have experienced benefits of using these - that they reduce your eye strain. What sort of symptoms have help alleviated for you?

I spend hours on computer screens at work and then come home to spend 5 hrs at night playing games etc. As I am middle age I have been putting done my eye problems (perhaps headaches, blurred vision, sometimes dry eyes) etc to old age. I do have short sight and long sight prescription specs now though I don't use (unless I am at the cinema or reading small print) - my prescription should mean that I am OK to see 30cm to say 10m. These sound like they might actually be beneficial to me but I want to know more specifics why you are saying they are good.

I used to suffer with tired, sore, dry eyes after a full day at work, like yourself I also game in the evening after work. I am also incredibly susceptible to Headaches and Migraines (I have my Mother to thank for that). Having been using the Gunnars, I find that my eyes are not as fatigued come the end of the working day, they are not dry or sore. I have also noticed that I am not suffering from as many headaches. I do still get them but not as often. This I would put down to the "focusing Power" as Gunnar call it, a very slight magnification to the lenses that mean text is easier to read for example. The blue light reduction is great and believe it or not, the amber tinted lenses really don't affect colour that much, infact, i'd say you become used to it and dont really notice the slight tint - not until you take the glasses off. I stare at a lot of white screen during the day at work due to the nature of the job - this is where the lens tint helps, the lenses as stated, also help protect from screen glare/screen burn.

When I get home, I game on my home PC for a few hours, usually in a dark room due to sun or light reflection off of my monitor. The Gunnar's slight tint helps brighten the room up so i'm not straining when looking at the screen - helps on dark games too! Works similar to shooting glasses, brightens the environment up a little, just to take the strain off the eyes.

I'm no Optician or Ophthalmologist so I cannot go into Medical depth, however, I will say that they work. Gunnar had their lens design Medically Approved too!
In fact, put it this way, I brought a pair - even though I wasn't originally sold, like most other people, I was just using f.lux and other software for blue light reduction and I am honestly glad to say I was pleasantly surprised. :)

Associate
I've recently got a new pair of specs and am going to go onto contact lenses again - but working on a PC all day and coming home and game do make my eyes sore and have a bit of a headache.

I'd be interested to see if these help - however its a bit much to take a punt in the dark. Also not sure I want to be wearing the amber tinted ones at work!

I'd be willing to do a long term trial of them though because if they do help then they would absolutely be worth it and i'd probably end up getting a prescription pair.

OcUK Staff
Have been using these glasses a lot over the last few weeks and they have really helped with eye strain I get after hours in front of a PC each day...

Sadly they did nothing to resolve the head aches I get from reading the utter none sense often typed on these forums.... Oh well cant have it all ways!!!

Great product though!!!

Soldato
think I had to pay £40 for Blue light costing to prescription glasses.

least the above isn't orange lenses too!

havent used them but anything that cuts down Blue light is worth it if your 9-5 in the office then 9pm-2am grinding

Back
Top Bottom