GW2 vs. FFXIV

Associate
I've decided to get into one of the above MMOs. I played WoW for several years, and last year tried to get into TERA. I've always been a fan of the FF series and never played GW1.

I don't have as much time to put into gaming as I did in my WoW days so I'm looking for the title that suits casual play a little bit more.

Have many of you played both? What are your thoughts?

Soldato
not tried ffxiv don't plan to either gw2 is ok but found it very quite boring considering the amount of hype the game got it's worth playing through once since it's a once purchase but not something I would stick with after playing other mmos

Soldato
Depends if you want a more child-like mmo no? If that's not the appeal and it's just you have heard of these two then maybe go for rift as is free? Only mmo I would consider a sub for is wow and I haven't played that in an age. Passing monthly to play ff is bizarre to me unless you have g/f and kids that you would share it with maybe?

Soldato
Rift is fine if you like WoW, which I didn't. They're very similar styles.

To answer the OPs question, for me it'd come down to community and there GW2 wins. There is plenty to do in the game, I stopped playing after 6 months though as it was just taking up too much time and Minecraft kept calling ;)

I'm not sure what PvP is like in FFXIV but it's OK, strictly OK on GW2. It could be a lot better with a bit if tweaking but I doubt they'll ever do it.

Soldato
I've tried GW2 around 6 months apart and both times the game is very lack luster with very little to offer.

Once you hit max level, you have 2 choices, Broken RvR or repeat a small amount of dungeons to collect an insane amount of points to be able to buy good gear.

There is 1 raid boss and 1 raid zone if i'm right, the zone was broken at launch and the raid boss is so boring and easy that people are complaining about it already.

The game was ambitious but it failed because of its ambitions.

MMO's are about making you feel the hero and feel that your character is progressing and yet GW2 suppresses this feeling completely.

Associate
If you are a final fantasy fan then go with ffxiv. I played GW2 and got bored after 2 weeks whereas I'm still playing ffxiv.

You can also pick up ffxiv cheap for about £12 and wait for GW2 to have another free weekend which you just missed I think.

Soldato
I'd go with FF14 mate.

It isn't that hard to hit level 50 and you can play this one casually unlike you could with 11.

If you started within the next few weeks, you could easily reach max level come Christmas.

Then once the new content is all added which it will in due time, you will be all set for it.

Soldato
Tried both and I preferred GW2, but if you like a WoW-style game FF will be more up your street.

Personal preference really, I would still be playing gw2 it was that good (IMO) but I just enjoy Dota2 so much these days :p

Soldato
Played ff for about 2 weeks out of the 4 free and played gw2 for 6 months when it launched and recently went back. GW2 'wins' hands down. Community, gfx, animations and game world are just better.

Soldato
Tried both and I preferred GW2, but if you like a WoW-style game FF will be more up your street.

Personal preference really, I would still be playing gw2 it was that good (IMO) but I just enjoy Dota2 so much these days :p

Played ff for about 2 weeks out of the 4 free and played gw2 for 6 months when it launched and recently went back. GW2 'wins' hands down. Community, gfx, animations and game world are just better.

Known GW2 fanboys being biased. There's a shock.

Soldato
MMO's are about making you feel the hero and feel that your character is progressing and yet GW2 suppresses this feeling completely.

I disagree, I don't need to be "the hero" it's one of the reasons MMOs have gotten worse over the years, my favourite MMOs certainly didn't feed in too much to the "hero" idea. Dark Age of Camelot and Ultima Online both had you as an important person, but you by no means saved the world.

GW2 progression is fine, the problem is the game stops developing your character fairly early on in any meaningful way, after that it's about gearing up which frankly it dull as hell for most people. The end result is a game which is great 1-40, but after that as you level you get little real reward and ultimately nothing but raids and fairly iffy and poorly constructed WVWVW.

Soldato
GW2 is great, very casual.

I haven't played it in the last 4 months or so because it does become dull in the end game, unless you like wvw or pvp - I enjoyed spvp a lot, but it gets old after a while.
Living story was all a bit meh, never cared for much of it.

I'm waiting for some big class updates like new weapons and skills before diving back in.

Soldato
Couldn't get into FFXIV, combat was wayyyyyyy too slow for me. GW2 is fun though I just regret leveling a ranger to 80 over a thief, cba doing another.

Permabanned
GW2 is OK its pretty decent leveling, nice mechanics, ffiv I did not like really struggled with it, got to about level 30 when I quit. Rift is pretty good as well, got about the best f2p setup I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom