H50 Watercooler

Associate
Hey guys, (apologies if I am posting this in the wrong forums). I am running a music studio setup here with the 2 machine being an i7-970 at stock settings in BIOS and a H50 Watercooler (installed in 2010!). However I have a feeling the computer is running on a bit on the high side? (see screenshot from RealTemps GT).

Would you recommend that I should re-apply some thermal paste to it or replace it ? In the event of replacement I was thinking for the Kotetsu Quiet CPU Cooler maybe?

Any input would be appreciated :)

Man of Honour
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

It doesn't look too bad although is that with no overclocking? You could try replacing the thermal paste and see if the temps drop. If you have some lying around it won't have cost anything apart from 10 minutes of your time and then if the temps are no better you could think about a new cooler then.

Associate
OP
@pastymuncher thank you very much for the swift reply. I actually had some thermal paste lying around and have applied it to it afresh. These settings were without overclock indeed but these are the new readings after the application of the paste. It's not a drastic drop but I think it made a difference.

EDIT 1: Although after leaving the machine on for 30 mins ~ the temps have scaled to mid-50s. It's worth mentioning that the machine runs with an 800W power supply but I think the problem here seems to be the cooler itself?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think a 7-10 degree drop was well worth it and to be honest the temps really are not that bad. It's more or less what I would expect from that cooler, especially as it's 7 years old now. What case do you have and what is the airflow like (how many fans/what size/intake and exhaust)? Do you have a gpu that dumps the heat into the case or do you have a blower type that exhausts the heat out the rear? Is the psu in the top or bottom of the case? If it's in the bottom is it fan down or fan up? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to build a picture of your case airflow.

Associate
OP
Thank you again for the replies. You are correct it is a 7-year old cooler. However, I re-seated it and it seems that the temps now are averaging between 40-47 which is fine. The setup is :

Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Case
ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer motherboard
Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro
Corsair H50 WaterCooler
1 x SSD for OS
1 x 1TB WD for Projects
24GB DDR3 Corsair RAM
GPU GeForce 7300 LE nVidia

The airflow: (although some people suggest you mount the fan to exhaust the air from the CPU, I found that mounting the fan per Corsair's suggestions to blow in to the radiator, the temps are lower than before!)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That looks fine to me. Most of the AIO (all in one) coolers suggest sucking air through it from outside the case although personally I would prefer it exhausting rather than dumping the heat in the case. Hopefully the top exhaust fan should be getting rid of most of it. I don't think you will improve temps anymore than that and mid 40's is pretty good for that cpu with a H50 anyway.

Now it looks like you are sorted don't be a stranger to the forums. This forum is a excellent source of knowledge and information for users of all ages and experience and it's free!! Have fun. :)

Associate
OP
That's great! :) I think indeed it will be stable now and seems to be running lower than before which is great. I knew about the forum for a long time and I think I had an account before but I couldn't remember the logins anymore.Thank you once again for the swiftly replies and all the help. I will do my best to be around :)

Back
Top Bottom