1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had in interesting weekend with BMW and now I want / need a BMW

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Dr House, 30 May 2006.

1. Dr House

Capodecina

One of my clients invited me down to the local BMW garage for a private event they had running on Saturday morning. Basically they had catered food and a cocktail bar with lots and lots of BMWs on display.

The best part was that they had 30 to 35 German registered BMWs you could take out on a “test drive” not only did they give you the car for a 40 min run around the country roads outside Prague but there was a stunning model in each car to keep you entertained. They let you push the car as hard as you wanted.

They had every BMW in production,
    7 series, 5 series (including a M5), 330’s,130’s mini cooper S, X3, X5 Z4 (only had one)

The only thing missing was a M3.

So anyway I did not have the balls to drive the M5 and I am really really regretting it now. However I fell in love with the 130. Its simply fantastic, sooooo sooo fast and handling was excellent, I did have a few brown pants moments but I just loved the car and would actually consider buying one.
    The interior was not that special but you would never notice because you will be mesmerized by the sound of the engine.

The Mini Cooper S was awful, ok its quick (ish) for a 1.6 however I was just so boring to drive, the sound from the engine was boring, I kept spinning the front wheels, I managed to slide it around a corner and just generally I did not enjoy driving it. I have driven the 3 and 5’s in the past so that was nothing new and did not have any interest in the 7 so did not take on out.

So over all I want to own a BMW one day, 3.0 Z4 or a 130 will do 

2. Mic

Mobster

6 series. M6?

3. Dr House

Capodecina

Yep they had a couple but I did not see a M6

4. olv

Soldato

the 130 is an absolutely OBSCENE amount of money for what it is. and not at all attractive. lose lose situation.

z4 coupe however. mmm

5. Type_R

Soldato

Forget the cars - how was the model/s? :D

On a serious note, go try an M3....then you will not look back!

6. Simon

Capodecina

Nice :eek: :p

7. Mic

Mobster

Damn i was gonna make that comment:(
    Accompanied by 'buttsecks?'

8. Steve

Mobster

The 1 series is a nice car for those who can't afford a real BMW ;) except the 130 which are for people who can afford one but have no sense :p

The larger engined 3 and Z4s are fantastic cars but just feel normal next to an M

Obviously I am not biased in the least

9. Scania

Capodecina

Sounds like you had a good day, although I'd have sold my soul for a drive of the M5.....

I've been to a similar day at my local dealers, tried a 535D and was most impressed by it, but for £40k odd, you'd damn well expect to be impressed!

The 130i is obscenely expensive for what it it, but, it is still one hell of a car.

I'll stick with my 7 until that lottery win arrives. :)

10. Mic

Mobster

Either am i

buy an s2000

11. Fusion

Capodecina

This would be true, if they were cheap!

12. Dr House

Capodecina

Yes I had a fantastic weekend, hopefully the will repeat it again and I can take an M5 out. I drive a fast car but I still don’t know if I can handle 500bhp.

One of my friends bought a 320ci its its quite tasty just a little slow. I can only imagine how much fun a M3 is :D

13. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

Do you actually own your M3 then? ;)

14. Steve

Mobster

go away

:o :p

15. Usher

Mobster

whats the big attraction with BMW ?
    apart from being one of the the most common marques around they are the choice of every scally & rogue on the planet, give me a Merc any day :p

16. Steve

Mobster

Over priced tat that falls apart and unless you asian of origin you look out of place ;)

17. NickXX

Soldato

The attraction is that they're fantastic cars. It's only the old ones that get snapped up by scallys, but everyone else knows they're naff. :p

18. Scania

Capodecina

That could apply to both Mercs & BMW's.

19. NickXX

Soldato

True, but then I'm a big fan of Mercs too :)

20. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

They make very high quality cars which are exceptionally good to drive.

Often, chosing a Merc means compromise for the better image. It also depends where you live - down here where 50% of people are ****** nobody has nice BMW's really (Or Audi's or Mercs) other than the wannabe carpet depot managers in old E38's so you don't look common in a nice 5 Series. I see only a few a week.