Haircut: Barbers or Salon? (Metro warning)

Soldato
I hate paying over a fiver for a haircut! Didn't like it when my local barbers put the prices up to £5.50... I can't see how going to a salon and letting them lose with the clippers is worth around £20 more of my monies for the same end result.

Associate
If you've got someone cutting your hair that knows what their doing you’ll rarely see them using the clippers. The guy that cut’s my hair only use’s them when someone’s being graded all over. He recons that clippers are for butchers who aren’t good enough to use scissors.

Soldato
If I want my hair styled i go to a salon, the one i use is £15 they wash and cut/style your hair and all look rather nice, do a good job and price isn't really that much more than a barbers.

Soldato
Try and find a medium priced salon. Because i dont think there is a lot they can do to a mans hair that is worth over £20. I pay around £12.50 for a student which is pretty reasonable. But around £15-18 is acceptable.

Just try it out, you will probably like it and never go back to a barbers agin.

Associate
Yes. Whilst it may be possible to cut hair as short as say a no.2 with scissors it will in no way be superior to using a pair of clippers, especially for an area such as the back of the head that is basically a large expanse of the same length of hair. So using the clippers would be a time saving device. Also when I visited Toni & Guy the woman seemed obsessed with using the scissors on the back/sides as well as the top but the overall cut was inferior to the local barber here at uni. I think it depends on the skill/vision of the hair dresser. Also some people like to make up pretentious crap and stick by it such as "they don't make new cars as well as they used to" (which is bull, new cars are generally a lot better) and "vinyl is superior to CD" (which whilst slightly more arguable, is also generally false for most people).

Associate
Johnny Girth said:
Yes. Whilst it may be possible to cut hair as short as say a no.2 with scissors it will in no way be superior to using a pair of clippers, especially for an area such as the (1)back of the head that is basically a large expanse of the same length of hair. So using the clippers would be a time saving device. Also when I visited (2)Toni & Guy the woman seemed obsessed with using the scissors on the back/sides as well as the top but the overall cut was inferior to the local barber here at uni. I think it depends on the skill/vision of the hair dresser. Also some people like to make up pretentious crap and stick by it such as "they don't make new cars as well as they used to" (which is bull, new cars are generally a lot better) and "vinyl is superior to CD" (which whilst slightly more arguable, is also generally false for most people).

1 That’s the whole point of the scissors they don’t cut the hair the same length. They cut into the hair and make it different lengths to give a layered look rather than a chavy bowl head look.

2 Toni and Guy are rob dogs anyhow. I've been my local one and all they want to do is get the money out of your wallet and you out of the door.

---------edit-----------
ohh and my old clio was great :D

Last edited:
Associate
When i had shorter hair the barbers was great, now i've grown it longer i prefer a salon

There is a bit of a difference between £6.50 and £19 though.

Soldato
I used to go to a barber (a former salon stylist) who charged £6.00, great haircuts. However, due to a career change he is now closed. So after trying 4 other hairdressers I now pay £12.50 at a salon (that's a 50% price for students on Wednesdays). Worth the money in my opinion. :).

I haz 4090!
Don
If you want your standard army issue short back and sides, then go to a barbers. If you want a boyband-issue cut with style, you have to go to a salon. :)

Soldato
at the moment i'd be happy to spend £50 on my hair to get it better than it is! i just havent found anywhere that will treat my hair with respect!

what i mean by that is, when i say dont use clippers and i dont want much off at all. they actually listen instead of using clippers and taking upwards of 2" off of the length :mad:

Back
Top Bottom