Haircut: Barbers or Salon? (Metro warning)

Soldato
Street said:
I hate paying over a fiver for a haircut! Didn't like it when my local barbers put the prices up to £5.50... I can't see how going to a salon and letting them lose with the clippers is worth around £20 more of my monies for the same end result.

Well mate see this is where you will find people that go to Barbers have boring hair cuts such as "french crop" or just a number 1, Whilst people that go to Salons will have hair cuts that the barber go'ers are too scared to try cause its too "homosexual"

SidewinderINC said:
at the moment i'd be happy to spend £50 on my hair to get it better than it is! i just havent found anywhere that will treat my hair with respect!

what i mean by that is, when i say dont use clippers and i dont want much off at all. they actually listen instead of using clippers and taking upwards of 2" off of the length :mad:

Yeah that is so true I used to go to a barbers and they used to spoil my hair all the time.

Consigliere
Salon.

RUSH - Brighton

Starting price is:

£29.95 for ladies.
£21.95 for gents.

Highest price i could find on their business card thingy was £84.95 with a Technical Consultant for permanent colouring.

Why i go to those sort of places and not a 'Barbers'. They use quaility equipment, better trained, have a vast amount of knowledge on styles and fashion. They do things properly and i pay the price for that. A Barbers just do the same cut all the time and don't take into amount the re-growth of your hair. Example, say i wanted fringe to be re-styled to the other side of my head - a Barbers would 9/10 just comb it over a few times, blow it with a hairdryer maybe and wax it. Whereas in a Salon they would actually style it for long lasting effect.

This post is long. How embarasing.

Last edited:
Associate
i pay about £35 for my cut at toni and guy in manchester. i go to the same woman who cuts it really nice every time, no clippers or anything like that, just a pair of scissors.

well worth it in my opinion.

Associate
Maybe go to the salon once to get it styled and then after that have it trimmed at the barbers when you know what you want?

I go to a local barber where the hairdresser used to work at a salon so its really just the same good quality cut but for £5 :)

Man of Honour
Men go to barbers, women go to salons. That's what my grandad told me and he knows everything about everything, something I inherited from him I suppose.

What he doesn't know isn't worth knowing or is just plain lies

Caporegime
I just let my hair grow saving the money, ocasionaly take a pair of scissors or clippers and hack chunks out of it.

Getting your mum/flatmate/best mate/gf to use a pair of clippers on you is fun. That way if its messed up its their fault not yours and it gives you a topic of conversation..... :o

Soldato
If you have short simple hair go to the barbers, if your hair's a bit more crazy like go to a salon...

or

If you have a man's haircut, go to the barbers, if you have lady hair, go to the salon.

Soldato
OP
Reporting back, went this morning because i've been busy otherwise. Salon's win hand's down.

£14 for my stylist Sarah, she did a wonderfull job, and i get a loyalty card :). If you really are cheap it seems i can get a graduate to do mine for £11, i wasn't feeling daring at the time though :o.

Associate
It basically just depends if you care much about your haircut, or not.

Barbers do an OK job at removing hair from your head, some I'm sure can make it look pretty good too.

Mid-range salons (which I visit) can give you something quite a lot nicer though. I used to get my hair cut by what was essentially a barber and always used to get frustrated that I couldnt really "do" anything with my hair, it would just flop into an unplesant mess. Since I started going to a salon, all this "layering" malarky has turned out to be suprisingly good. I've liked my hair a lot more since, and find it will always grow nicer, and I wont need to come back that soon. I never pay more than £10.

The high-end salons, by this I mean £30+ (i.e Toni & Guy), I've only been to oneonce. It's a pretty cool experience, having your own "stylist" and gettin crazy head massages and stuff. Of course, a lot of people would consider it "gay", and feel uncomfortable with it, and that's fair enough. The haircuts are good, not worth the additional price for the type of haircut I usually get tbh, but you're guaranteed something that'll look good.

If I was a really good looking guy - I wouldnt hesitate to shave it off, especially in the summer. But I need hair to distract from my ugliness! :)

Associate
I used to get charged £30 for a style and colour from the Hair Cuttery. But ditched the colour and go to a local place which charges £5 a cut and does the job ok.

I'll probably leave my hair to grow a bit more and then go back to the hair cuttery and get it styled.

Associate
I pay abou £18 to get my hair styled so that you can't tell if I've just styled it or just got out of bed :) Plus they give me free beer, or OJ if I'm seriously hungover.

Back
Top Bottom