Halo MCC - Halo 4 - 17th November

Soldato
Well, this is a nice surprise! I was recently playing this on the Xbox through Game Pass. It's amazing that it's coming to PC and that it'll also be available through Steam. I wonder if Microsoft will be taking the Steam route for other games as well...

Associate
While I'm happy with the news, it still sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth that PC gamers were locked out of this franchise for such a long period of time. I may be pessimistic but it just seems like money-grab now.

Associate
To be honest, I'd rather have had the rest of the Gears of War games ported across to Steam than Halo but I'm still pleased ANYTHING from Microsoft is coming to Steam. The less I have to use the Windows Store, the better.

Looking forward to this. I own this on XB and only ever got to Halo 2 as I wanted to do it in chronological order. Will be nice to play it on PC with everything turned up to 11. But yes, Would love all the the other gears to come as well. Hopefully they can see the market for it

Soldato
Play Anywhere is not possible as its coming to Steam. Play Anywhere is exclusive to Xbox1 & Win 10 ONLY. When they choose to release on Steam it cannot be Play Anywhere. So thank Steam release for that otherwise it would be free to Game Pass for very little money per month :rolleyes: MS can always eventually choose to put these on Game Pass though. That is what they do monthly on Xbox1 and Game Pass proper is coming to PC this year according to Phil Spencer so I still think they might end up on it as a Game Pass sub seller!

Tbh its great these games are coming to PC but lets face it most of them will just be the same dated gameplay with recentish graphics. I can see why they are releasing in reverse order leading up to the next proper Halo game coming to PC as well.

Not quite. Quantum Break was on Steam and Microsoft Store. The latter was Play Anywhere, whereas the Steam version was indeed steam only. As someone with a digital copy on xbox, I'm hoping for Play Anywhere, but I doubt it...

Soldato
Not quite. Quantum Break was on Steam and Microsoft Store. The latter was Play Anywhere, whereas the Steam version was indeed steam only. As someone with a digital copy on xbox, I'm hoping for Play Anywhere, but I doubt it...
Play Anywhere titles can be Xbox1 only if there is another version of the title on Steam. That is why Resident Evil 7 is Play Anywhere on XB1, so is Rise Of The Tomb Raider & Quantum Break all because they released on Steam so not part of the Play Anywhere program.

Play Anywhere is purely for titles which are exclusive to XB1 & Win 10 Store only.

Soldato
That's not a rumour. Microsoft dont want to be platform based anymore they want to be service based they have said this so many times officially over the past few years.

Sure we may not get the xbox one back catalogue but their intention was to always release first party games post GOW4 to pc.

Whether they even release another console would be interesting,I'm sure they will but it will probably be their last or some weird PC hybrid.

I was referring to this rumour:

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/200140/microsofts-evolving-gaming-strategy-takes-a-giant-step-forward

This would deliver the Xbox One back catalogue to PC. If it's close to release, then why go to the hassle and expense of porting MCC to PC?

I guess MCC could be an exception though; a title that Microsoft want to give some special treatment to.

Play Anywhere is not possible as its coming to Steam.

Recore, Halo Wars and Super Lucky's Tale are Play Anywhere, Game Pass, and also on Steam. Possibly others too; I only took a quick look.

Being released on Steam doesn't preclude the Windows Store version of a game from being Play Anywhere, or from it turning up on Game Pass.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not going to get to excited about, I don't think Halo (at least the early games) will carry over well to the PC. Even with support for higher resolutions, you still going to have low poly count models and low resolution textures. And the gun play whilst good for it's day isn't going to hold up well to modern games.

Soldato
Nostalgia is the hottest ticket in town, has been for a few years now in all media formats.

Pity I am up to 4 in the MCC after they released the 4K update late last year.

Don't think the ports will take that long as they have all the updated textures, assets, code, maybe some engine tweaking to accommodate PC needs.

Will I buy this if it not on Gamepass for the PC....probably...mmmmm....yes :D

Soldato
I'm surprised by the Steam release.

Same.

I thought I saw something about Microsoft saying they were going to put more focus on PC gaming?

Not going to help people buy games from their store, if they allow those games to be released on Steam...

When State of Decay 2 came out, there was a hint on Undead Labs site it would appear on Steam at some point. I can't see that happening; not if Microsoft want to focus more on PC gaming. Since then, Microsoft announced that they had made agreement with Undead Labs, that they would be incorporated into Microsoft Studios. It doesn't help Microsoft, having their exclusives on other platforms.. Would be great for everybody else though. :p :D

Caporegime
OP
Not going to help people buy games from their store, if they allow those games to be released on Steam...

It’s the right way to do things though. Give people the choice of where to buy but make one more attractive than the other. So in other words, the Microsoft store version will support Game Pass and Play Anywhere whereas the Steam version will be a straight forward purchase.

Soldato
Ha, sods law, we picked up a Xbox One X purely for Red Dead Redemption 2, I picked up the collection for Halo and recently played through them all again. 1 was brilliant but showed it's age a little. 2 is still a masterpiece and will always be the best in the series for me.

Back
Top Bottom