1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hamas given Ultimatum.

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by ElRazur, 25 May 2006.

1. ElRazur

Capodecina

Last edited: 25 May 2006
  2. Nix

Capodecina

I'm confused now. I thought Palestine already recognised Isreal. Did they go back on their word again?

It's just sabre rattling though, like always. Sometimes I wish they'd just fight and get it over with.

3. ElRazur

Capodecina

I think the problem is Hamas, they refuse to recognise isreal as a state and part of their principle or manifesto is to see to the destruction of a jewish state.

I dont know how Abbas can pull this off as there seem to be internal rebellion and fighting among his party and hamas.

4. @if ®afiq

Soldato

I'm not too sure what this document is going to outline. The CNN report is reads differently to the one on the Beeb. Going by the Beeb article, it looks like Abbas wants an agreement on what should constitute Palestine - which can only be a good thing.

Could this be a reacttion to Olmhert's(sp?) plan?

Also, an FYI - the dastardly Hamas has observed a one-sided seize-fire for over a year now.

5. Nix

Capodecina

Do you think that the British are obligated to do something about the situation between Palestine & Isreal?

Afterall, strictly speaking, it's our fault the situation is how it is and post-war we're now in a position to do something to rectify our mistake.

6. @if ®afiq

Soldato

Of course, but sadly we are too busy selling them weapons in stead.

7. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Slow down there, Palestine was in an administration problem thanks to the downfall of the Ottoman empire, then they supported the Nazis (which later lead to Jewish immigration into Palestine) so while I think that it would be nice for Britain et al to help the Palestinians I don't think that we are quite responsible for them - and no-one but the Palestinians themselves are responsible for their nastier habits...

8. @if ®afiq

Soldato

I love the way you pluging the Nazi thing, but as I have said before many many people collaborated/supported the Nazis including Zionists.

As for using that as the reason for not helping - it is weak to say the least.

9. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Did the Zionists have a regiment in the SS?

You may need to re-read my post once more, about the bit where I said that we are not obligated to help under the pretense that we are responsible for the situation, but that we should help out of human decency and compassion.

10. @if ®afiq

Soldato

Maybe not, but they had the secret police and such like in Warsaw which is just as bad is it not?

My bad - I read it wrong. Sorry.

11. @if ®afiq

Soldato

If anyone is interest in the 18-point pland, it can be found here - although it looks like brief version.

12. Xtrema

Hitman

A secret police? in Warsaw? You really know how to spin 'em @if i'll give you that. I had an uncle who was one of the few to escape whilst en route to Treblinka extermination camp after capture during the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. Before he died, he wrote exhaustive memoirs which i hope to put into book form one day. he wrote nothing of a Jewish secret police, neither has anyone else to my knowledge. There was a Jewish police of sorts in the ghetto, known as the Jewish Order Service, they had little authority and there wasn't a lot secret about them either.

13. Sequoia

Wise Guy

No, personally I don't think the British should "so something". This is for two reasons :-

Reason 1 - It's because the British were involved at the start that interference now is likely to be less than welcome in some quarters.

Reason 2 - There's nothing, in practical terms, they can do.

14. Bossy papa

Hitman

to me its very simple,the problem lies with the creation of israel .

15. wordy

Soldato

From what I can gather it will be a good move, if the Hamas government can't decide then a referendum where(according to the aticle) the majority want a state to exist alongside Iserael, I can't see that being anything but a good thing.

After the ten days, if Hamas cant decide, then the people do it for them by holding a national vote.

It seems like a positive step forward by Hamas, if it was meant to give the people the choice of how the state shapes up. But if they have made things this way to avoid denouncing terrorism, while possibly re-establishing international aid etc. Then it is a very cynical move indeed

16. Nix

Capodecina

Maybe you should read up on the past geography of the area. It isn't quite that simple unfortuneately.

17. Rancidelephant

Mobster

You se this is the problem with all these bloody democratic elections, people will INSIST on electing people we dont agree with :mad:

The Hamas position was know well before their election to the palestine govt, why oh why did we let this election continue!

Same in Iraq, why did we let anyone get elected that wouldn't *** us there :confused:

18. ElRazur

Capodecina

I think it is as a result of the people reacting to the state of chaos they've been in for a long time. Hamas is suppose to be the hero for them (so they think) but in practical application, it is just the same old wine.

19. ElRazur

Capodecina

I see your point, and i agree. What im worried about is the internal crack and rebellion i.e Hamas V abbas party. There has been report of attempted assasination and finger of blame is being pointed. (to hama iirc).
    Even if the people after ten days make the decision, i dont think hamas will go away easily or change it's political agenda (destruction of isreal).

20. @if ®afiq

Soldato