Hamilton hatred

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The conclusion is good. Sums up you guys quite nicely.

But the escalating use of his platform to draw attention to issues like Taylor’s killing is a shift in gear from raising a fist in a post-race Black Power salute or sharing messages on social media.

It indicates Hamilton is not afraid to use his star power and F1’s spotlight to further issues he views as important, and that is extremely valuable in a world that does its best to remain apolitical.

His T-shirt in Italy had already sparked ‘controversy’ in some quarters but F1 and the FIA should encourage its world champion to risk that in pursuit of better ideals.

‘Controversy’ is also unfair given any problem that arises from such a pursuit is the fault of the person it irritates, not Hamilton.

Especially as it appears some people are more concerned with Hamilton wearing this T-shirt than they are the reason he is wearing it in the first place.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/new-hamilton-controversy-shows-need-for-his-anti-racism-drive/

Soldato
Lol, if all these virtue signalling sucking up journalists believe what they say then why are they covering f1?
Sorry the f1 world is a joke but that makes it entertainment I suppose. The richer they are the more ridiculous they become. It is a money consuming marketing machine that wants people to look at it, fair enough but do gooders blimey, that's the last thing they are and the companies that supply the funds. Its all just part of a massive money making machine and they will do anything they think will improve the bottom line. If the dollar is enough they don't care about anything, never have never will.
Guess what I still want Lewis to win but I know what I see. I physically can't watch the build up to the race because of the messages and taking the knee stuff, I used to love all the build up. Now I'm going to avoid watching the podium as well.

Soldato
I have to say, for a millionaire sportsman domiciled in a tax haven telling us how to live our lives and what to think, it's not a good look for Hamilton to be holidaying with his friend Philip Green on his yacht.

Soldato
I have an infinite amount of respect for his driving ability and I'm proud to see him (as a Brit) repeatedly win world championships but as a person away from his driving, I can't stand his rank hypocrisy on everything from racism, to capitalism to the environment - everything he says regarding these subjects is then followed by him doing what he tells everyone else not to do, or is just plainly untrue.

Sadly, his "non-driving" attitude and examples are ruining his amazing achievements for many people.

Caporegime
I have an infinite amount of respect for his driving ability and I'm proud to see him (as a Brit) repeatedly win world championships but as a person away from his driving, I can't stand his rank hypocrisy on everything from racism, to capitalism to the environment - everything he says regarding these subjects is then followed by him doing what he tells everyone else not to do, or is just plainly untrue.

Sadly, his "non-driving" attitude and examples are ruining his amazing achievements for many people.

I agree.
He probably has the carbon foot print of 10 + average Joe's.
His job, going on far flung holidays, sponsorship events high performance sports cars.

If he drove a Nissan leaf, only went on short haul holidays once a year etc and did his job I'd have some respect for his environmental views.

Granted. I don't know if he gives millions to environmental charities. And if so x I'm retract this view

Soldato
I agree.
He probably has the carbon foot print of 10 + average Joe's.
His job, going on far flung holidays, sponsorship events high performance sports cars.

If he drove a Nissan leaf, only went on short haul holidays once a year etc and did his job I'd have some respect for his environmental views.

Granted. I don't know if he gives millions to environmental charities. And if so x I'm retract this view

I believe he's net 0. We probably have a larger Carbon footprint than he does. (when I say we I mean those of us who aren't doing the whole offsetting thing)

Soldato
Yes haters gonna hate.
He's damned if he does damned if he doesn't.
He knows that too and he actually doesn't care anymore what people think, there was a time he did and stayed silent.

It's gonna be funny to watch and know people are gonna be seething when he breaks those records.

There seems to be a real divide between people who take issue with the way Hamilton conducts himself when he's not racing (but still representing F1) and people who think they know why other people are taking issue.

People here have stated again and again that he's a great driver and they have no issue with that. Adding another title isnt going to change the opinions of anybody here; how the man conducts himself might, however. You have to stop assuming that being a good driver is the reason people take issue with him, especially when people keep telling you that isn't the case.

Associate
Sorry to necro an old thread but Hamilton made a comment regarding a penalty essentially saying people were out to get him?? I actually think the penalty was harsh but deserved. The gripe I have is how he handled the decision. It gives me a negative view of him. I hope I'm not seen as a racist for saying this and in no way does it take away from his philanthropic contributions or his many achievements.

Man of Honour
Sorry to necro an old thread but Hamilton made a comment regarding a penalty essentially saying people were out to get him?? I actually think the penalty was harsh but deserved. The gripe I have is how he handled the decision. It gives me a negative view of him. I hope I'm not seen as a racist for saying this and in no way does it take away from his philanthropic contributions or his many achievements.

I suspect he’s more erked that Mercedes made it more difficult for him in Q2 and then advised him that his practice starts were fine - not for the first time this season either. There have been a lot of discretionary penalties that have gone against him this year when many other drivers have been let off for similar incidents. The FIA do seem determined to stop Hamilton and Mercedes, but that’s just my opinion.

It’s also funny that Kimi gets mad at penalties - he’s universally adored. Hamilton does the same - he gets a load of flak.

It’s also worth noting that Leclerc did something similar a few years ago, it got investigated after the race and dismissed. Even Max has come out and said those two penalty points are harsh.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

So you're good with someone getting an in race time penalty for something that didn't happen in the race or gain him any advantage in the race and actually ok according to the race directors notes?

So next time someone misses the anthem, drive through?

What was wrong with a substantial fine?

It’s also funny that Kimi gets mad at penalties - he’s universally adored. Hamilton does the same - he gets a load of flak.

Certainly interesting...

Associate
I suspect he’s more erked that Mercedes made it more difficult for him in Q2 and then advised him that his practice starts were fine - not for the first time this season either. There have been a lot of discretionary penalties that have gone against him this year when many other drivers have been let off for similar incidents. The FIA do seem determined to stop Hamilton and Mercedes, but that’s just my opinion.

It’s also worth noting that Leclerc did something similar a few years ago, it got investigated after the race and dismissed. Even Max has come out and said those two penalty points are harsh.

Ricciardo got a penalty and they played his radio, he handled it quite well and owned up to it instantly. I really like that accountability and it makes a driver more personable, even somewhat relatable. None of this scooting around nonsense.

(Can't speak for Kimi). It was just something of note.

So you're good with someone getting an in race time penalty for something that didn't happen in the race or gain him any advantage in the race and actually ok according to the race directors notes?

So next time someone misses the anthem, drive through?

What was wrong with a substantial fine?

I think the rules need to be followed regardless of how well supported or if they are from a minority.

Has Lewis ever missed an anthem before? Is it disrespectful to kneel during an anthem?

Apologies if my opinion offended you.

Man of Honour
Ricciardo got a penalty and they played his radio, he handled it quite well and owned up to it instantly. I really like that accountability and it makes a driver more personable, even somewhat relatable. None of this scooting around nonsense.

Ricciardo isn't fighting for a championship. He has exactly nothing on the line. Ricciardo's penalty was also a little more of an obvious rule break.

Associate
Ricciardo isn't fighting for a championship. He has exactly nothing on the line. Ricciardo's penalty was also a little more of an obvious rule break.

So??? Does fighting for a championship mean a penalty or driver should be treated differently? If Hamilton (or his team instructed him to do something which) broke a rule, shouldn't it also be punished?

I don't know about you but I think each offense has to be judged on it's own merit regardless of a persons championship position.

Associate
So??? Does fighting for a championship mean a penalty or driver should be treated differently? If Hamilton (or his team instructed him to do something which) broke a rule, shouldn't it also be punished?

I don't know about you but I think each offense has to be judged on it's own merit regardless of a persons championship position.

You can't see why a driver is aggrieved for a mistake made by his team leading to possibly losing a race and impacting his championship battle compared to a driver who went too deep into a corner leading to his penalty. The penalty didn't even affect his race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom