Hamilton signs deal with EA

Caporegime
Raikonnen is about as interesting as watching creosote dry tho. The way he reacted when he won the championship youd think he'd won an umbrella in a raffle or something.

Raikonnen is actually way more interesting than Hamilton who will forever toe the grey corporate mclaren image. He's known as a complete party animal.

Perhaps you should try a conversation in finnish infront of 500 million people and see how interesting you sound.:p

Soldato
Raikonnen is actually way more interesting than Hamilton who will forever toe the grey corporate mclaren image. He's known as a complete party animal.

Perhaps you should try a conversation in finnish infront of 500 million people and see how interesting you sound.:p

I think this guy is Raikonnen!

Soldato
A deal with Hamilton is just for him, does not mean EA can just churn out a F1 game with the real cars and drivers from all the other teams, so probably a game of Lewis driving round a track in his McLaren (nee Ferrari) on his own. Wonderful.

Edit: And if they have signed a deal just with Lewis then it makes the rumours that they have the F1 deal from Sony seem very unlikely.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sony had the rights to F1 until the end of this year, next year EA get it, sony don't. EA will get the licence for all drivers and teams, they have done in the past and will do again.

Soldato
Sony had the rights to F1 until the end of this year, next year EA get it, sony don't. EA will get the licence for all drivers and teams, they have done in the past and will do again.

Link?, other than internet rumour, would imagine if EA had it then they would have done a press release boasting about it. If they have the F1 licence then why would they pay this money just for Lewis Hamilton, when he would come with the F1 deal anyway. Paying twice for the same thing?

Soldato
Link?, other than internet rumour, would imagine if EA had it then they would have done a press release boasting about it. If they have the F1 licence then why would they pay this money just for Lewis Hamilton, when he would come with the F1 deal anyway. Paying twice for the same thing?
It's probably just a Lewis on the front cover thing, much like the FIFA series (i say probably with no certainty). When Sony had the F1 licence it was official, drivers, teams, cars etc... I'll have a look for a link, sure I have read an article on it somewhere.

Edit... remember, Lewis is the biggest thing to hit F1 for years, proving incredibly popular worldwide, if anyone can sell the game being on the front cover, it'll be him.

Soldato
But if they have the F1 deal then they can put whoever they want on the front cover as they would have rights to all teams and all drivers, think Montoya was the last front cover and they never had a deal with him. If EA only has a deal with Lewis then they won't be making a F1 game, as Ferrari etc will not let them use their brand and car, and that's before even Bernie gets involved LOL. I would somehow doubt they would pay such an amount just to get his picture on the front cover of a game. So I still don't think they have the F1 deal, as much as I would like them too I can't see if this story is true, sounds like the 2nd best thing and we will see games with Lewis in them only and maybe fake F1 cars or maybe some Lewis based espionage games, how to steal setups and get away with it :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is just a theory but can not a driver own his image right's as certain footballers do ?

They can have a deal with the assosiation but that doesnt give them a right to use the driver/s. An example of this is F1 97 on the Psone. Jacques Villeneuve would not let them use his image/name or helmet in the game. They all belong to him.

This the game referred to him as 'the canadian'.

Caporegime
But if they have the F1 deal then they can put whoever they want on the front cover as they would have rights to all teams and all drivers, think Montoya was the last front cover and they never had a deal with him. If EA only has a deal with Lewis then they won't be making a F1 game, as Ferrari etc will not let them use their brand and car, and that's before even Bernie gets involved LOL. I would somehow doubt they would pay such an amount just to get his picture on the front cover of a game. So I still don't think they have the F1 deal, as much as I would like them too I can't see if this story is true, sounds like the 2nd best thing and we will see games with Lewis in them only and maybe fake F1 cars or maybe some Lewis based espionage games, how to steal setups and get away with it :D

Image rights. You can own the license to Formula one, but you don't own the license to sell products using someones image.

Soldato
Maybe in football or other things but F1 teams all sign a deal that gives Bernie the rights to use their brands to sell the product so yes having the F1 license gives you the right to use the teams logo's and designs. Ferrari could not tell Sony they can't use their car and drivers in their F1 games for instance. Although teams can sell their own brand, such as Simbin making a Ferrari game or BMW letting rFactor use their car. But you could not sign a deal with BMW and just re-create the rest of the teams to make a F1 game, as that would be seeing you in court. The driver's might have their own deals off course, but EA would have the rights to put Lewis in the game anyway if they have the full deal, so why pay 5 million just for Lewis, if they have the full thing, makes no real sense to me but we shall see who has the deal soon I imagine.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes, but Bernie OWNS Formula 1. It's not like Bernie has sold F1 to EA, he's sold the rights to use the franchise, however the drivers etc.. aren't on the same thing. You cannot use someones image rights to advertise a game without permission.

It's the same in every single sports title.

Soldato
And all the teams have signed a deal with Bernie, to let him sell their brand to the likes of Sony or EA. And in doing so this gives them the rights to use whatever they like from F1. When was the last time we seen a F1 game released with fake drivers but all the real teams and cars? Villeneuve was a unique matter he refused to be included as he was not part of the GPDA which all the other drivers were part of and they let Sony use their names and images.

So again why would EA pay 5 million to use Lewis on a front cover, when they own the rights to use him already if they have the F1 deal. I don't know why your arguing about it really.

Caporegime
You can use names. So EA couldn't use him in adverts or boxart. Which is the purpose of the deal.

They can't use him on the cover without actually paying him! It's illegal!

Soldato
EA used JPM last time round, they never had any deal with him, and JPM again on the Nascar boxart this year too? no personal deal with him again. What law says it's illegal to use a picture of Lewis on a box without paying him? So even if he said sure use my image I do not mind then they would still have to pay him? strange law.

You are telling me they paid 5m to put Lewis on the box of a game that they might not even have the rights too? Seriously....think about it a bit instead of bursting a gut to prove me wrong no matter what.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom