1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hands Free Kit advice needed

Discussion in 'Motors' started by chipperhead, 10 Jun 2010.

1. chipperhead

Mobster

I'm looking at getting a hands free kit for the wife, she's a district nurse and often has people ringing her whilst she's driving, I've never had anything to do with this type of product before so am a bit clueless.

I've heard of Parrot but how do I integrate it into the existing stereo, the car is a 2003 Renault Megane?

The current stereo is sometimes temperamental playing cd's so would another option be to buy a new headunit with built in hands free, is there even such a thing?

I would like to keep the steering wheel stalk controls working and separate display if possible.

Any advice would be great because like I said I haven't the fogiest when it comes to all this.

2. Luke

Soldato

Intergrated stereo's and bluetooth tend to be a compromise, i.e. mediocre at both.
    I think if you buy a top end unit that may change, but at the low/mid range of the spectrum it's not good.

For my car (avensis) I had an ISO cable between the wiring loom and my aftermarket cd player. The parrot kit plugged into the ISO cable, then into the CD. Originally it was:
    Car wiring > Iso adapter > stereo
    Then it was:
    Car wiring > ISO adapter > Parrot lead > stereo.
    Depending on what stereo you buy you can get a cable that will allow you to retain steering wheel controls.

Have a look at caraudiodirect and you can enter your car details and it will show compatible products.